ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE & Color Management

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James ArchibaldAE & Color Management
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:12:47 pm

Another CC update, another thing seems to be broken ¬_¬

A crucial part of my facility's workflow involves using color management in AE to get a rough, and crucially non-destructive, LUT for raw footage because we add our effects pre-grade.

We've been using the same workflow for about a year and a half now with great results, until now. I took a shot home with me to work on over the weekend, and typically my home PC will always get new updates before my work one in case of disaster. In this case, my project is no longer letting me interpret my footage. These are the same exact collected files that I'm using at work with no problem, which leaves the obvious suspect as the CC update from a few days ago.

My color settings for the project have not changed, yet I can no longer assign a profile under the Interpret Footage menu. I normally use Universal Film Printing Density.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a solution out there?

• Archie •

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: AE & Color Management
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 4:46:18 pm

there was a thread on adobe that said for some files, it won't let you choose, so the adobe engineer said use color profile converter to undo the change by applying hdtv to universal, then visa versa.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE & Color Management
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:25:02 pm

[Chris Wright] "use color profile converter to undo the change by applying hdtv to universal, then visa versa."

This manual color management can be made a little less painful by precomping the footage. Don't forget that if you've already used a footage file, you can right-click it in the project panel and select "Replace with precomp (x times)." This will precomp the footage, then replace every reference to that footage in the project with a reference to the precomp instead. You can then apply your CPC effect globally as what is essentially a source-side effect.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved