ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Audio Spectrum troubles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Lynch
Audio Spectrum troubles
on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:16:40 am

I have scoured the internet tutorials for Radial Audio Spectrums on YouTube and wherever else trying to find out the answer to my small problem:

I am using an Audio Spectrum effect to visualize a song and Polar Coordinates to make the Spectrum circular. I have the spectrum set to side B and everything works fine except that the small area where the start point and end point meet in the middle. This area is just a disaster. My goal is to get these to points to "join" somehow so that instead of seeing this:

You can see that, right?

This is very annoying and somehow Proximity manages to pull it off. I figure maybe there is some way to "average" the heights of the start and end and adjust the area in between accordingly, but I'm not a pro at AE and I honestly have no clue how to do this. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Audio Spectrum troubles
on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:00:35 pm

Can you duplicate the layer, use a mask to cut each instance in the middle, one left side and one right side, then use a Bezier or Mesh Warp to adjust the right side to match the left at the top?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

James Lynch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 3:48:50 pm

How would I do that?

I'm very new to After Effects and half of what you said doesn't make much sense. I'll give it a try but I have no clue how to do that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:05:31 pm

I'd start by checking the beginning & ending points of the original Audio Spectrum, BEFORE Polar Coordinates is applied. The y-position could be off,

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Lynch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:14:53 pm

Oh, the Y-position is fine. I forgot to mention it looks like this when the audio is playing.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:44:08 pm

You don't need polar coordinates (although if your start and end y-positions are equal, it should work perfectly), you can also make a circular mask, turn it to "none" and select the circular mask as the Path for the effect.

Return to posts index

James Lynch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 6:08:24 pm

That's the problem. I mean, polar coordinates is working 100% because yes, the start and end Y positions are equal. My problem begins when the audio track that the spectrum is linked to begins playing. That's when the two points actually separate.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:22:30 pm

Ok, I see that happens when you put Audio Spectrum on Analog Lines, Side B...

I don't see an immediate solution. I guess you could put the audio through band pass (cutting off low and high frequencies) so that it stays level at the bottom and top.

Not even sure if Proximity uses this effect. But somehow they have the frequency spectrum flat at each end.

Return to posts index

James Lynch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:39:35 pm

That's what frustrates me. I'll try that.

Return to posts index

James Lynch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 8:05:33 pm

For some reason, I don't have Band Pass in my effects. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]