ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

simple text effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Robertssimple text effect
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:05:44 pm

Does anyone know how this simple text effect is done? I'm sure there must be a preset… but I can't find it!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: simple text effect
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:28:44 pm

There may be a preset or plugin out there to do this, but you could build this yourself with AE's text animators.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephen RobertsRe: simple text effect
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:32:48 pm

Thanks Michael. I've been trying all morning. I guess Id be using scale, but then not sure how to get it to start in the middle, and then that little bounce …?

I've been hired to update a video someone else has created. Source files are gone. Not sure I'd animated it this way if it was up to me, but the client likes this text motion.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:34:48 pm

Oh.. also. this is not a font! See the cut out letters? These are layers from Illustrator. So now Im trying to use the Slider controls to move the layers individually. I can do the scale … but not the position.

Here's the expression I m using for the scale:

delay = thisComp.layer("Sliders").effect("Delay Amount")("Slider");
d = delay*index;
t = time-d;
exp = thisComp.layer("Sliders").effect("Scale")("Slider").valueAtTime(t);
[exp, exp];

But I don't understand how to make the little bounce movement.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: simple text effect
by on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:18:03 am
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:18:47 am

Here's a little bounce script I made(adapted from Dan Eberts), that you may find useful.

Copy the Control layer to your text comp. Copy the expression on the scale layer of the white solid and paste it to each of your text layers(if you use the Copy expression only by right clicking you can paste it to all your layers at once). Add keyframes for you scale and the expression will provide overshoot, adjust the control layer to change how much and for how long the layer bounces.

Cool thing about this expression is you can add it to rotation or position also, don't need to change anything(though you might want multiple controllers if you are working with more than one property---so you will have to update that)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2015 at 8:55:16 pm

Thanks! very cool

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved