ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Degrees for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake DavisDegrees for After Effects?
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 5:06:54 pm

I've been running a contractor business for a few years, but would like to start preparing to settle down with a nice company as I'm building my After Effects reel.

Many companies seem to require a 4 year degree or Bachelors, but I'm not entirely sure what a degree in After Effects looks like as so many people in the industry seem to be self taught (like myself).

I'm currently enrolled in a community college doing general business classes for a transfer degree, but would like to do as little school as possible (as I don't particularly need it, I'm already doing what I love, just not in the pay category I'd like to be in).

How does one get a 'degree' in After Effects? I'm currently working as a Producer / Editor for a small company who hired me based on my EXPERIENCE, but I'd like to qualify for the companies that require a degree AND experience.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Degrees for After Effects?
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 6:21:12 pm

Hmmm... I recall an After Effects exam you could take through Adobe, but it has been a number of years since I've heard anything about it. I'm unsure if Adobe even has it anymore.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Degrees for After Effects?
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 6:38:29 pm

Adobe Certified Expert program:

Return to posts index

Blake DavisRe: Degrees for After Effects?
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 7:04:45 pm

I've been studying for this and do plan to take it, but this doesn't quite fit the "4 year degree" that many of the jobs I'm looking into require. What is the degree that I should be working towards? Graphics design doesn't quite fit the bill of motion graphics (though it helps I'm sure) so I'm just confused as to what degrees actually encompass and help with After Effects. Design and multimedia? Animation? Film production in general?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Degrees for After Effects?
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 7:16:42 pm

There is no such thing as a 4 year degree in After Effects and I would venture to guess that most people hiring in the creative realm don't really care what your degree is in if your work is good. If places you want to work require a 4 year degree, most areas in the creative/arts world should suffice as they are all intertwined anyway. Graphic design, film production, 3D (and 2D) animation, etc are all key parts of creating motion graphics/effects and studying these areas will certainly improve your work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved