ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

cc2015 frame cache issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jesse richardscc2015 frame cache issues
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 3:03:28 pm

I have an issue to add to the growing list of annoyances in the new after effects.

I keep getting an issue where I try and solo a layer or make an alteration to a comp it freezes on the preview it cached before and either takes a long time to preview the solo layers or doesn't end up previewing them at all.

Purging fixes this but that is not a suitable workaround to purge constantly.

Has any one else had this or solved it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: cc2015 frame cache issues
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 3:42:51 pm

The solution for many is this: work in AE CC 2014. Wait on AE CC 2015 until it is a completely-functioning, bug-fixed application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jesse richardsRe: cc2015 frame cache issues
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 3:57:36 pm

Yeah it seems so. Irritating.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:45:27 pm

A little additional information: Todd Kopriva at Adobe says they intend to release a bug fix today. You could try it.

Given Adobe's recent track record of inventing new bugs in bug fixes, I'd wait a bit and let someone else find what's still wrong... or brand-new woes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jesse richardsRe: cc2015 frame cache issues
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:58:35 pm

Haha. Bug fix Russian roulette.

Thanks for the info

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2015 at 6:03:38 pm

[jesse richards]: "Bug fix Russian roulette...."

Yup! That's pretty much how it's been the past few years, coincidentally starting around the time when you could pay for your software & download it, no pesky installation disks required.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2015 at 4:56:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 2, 2015 at 5:34:58 pm

Remember what I wrote above about bug fixes creating new bugs? Well, here's the latest from the AE forum on the Adobe web site. The AE bug fix (v. 13.6) came out late Monday. As of Wednesday morning, there are two posts about the inability to undo the addition of an effect to a layer.

THE FLIPPIN' UNDO COMMAND IS BROKEN!

On a Windows 7 machine! A mere 36 hours have passed since the bug fix was released! I wonder what other marvels await users?

I rest my case.

I am also overjoyed that my company's home office tests software and OS combinations and sends us replacement system drives when they deem it necessary. Sure, I'm just on Avid Media Composer 6 and AE CC 2012, but it is completely bulletproof.

And I thank my lucky stars that I never bit on Adobe Creative Cloud on my home machine.

There is a certain portion of the male anatomy that you NEVER want to step on wearing golf shoes. Adobe appears to be doing so with great regularity.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: cc2015 frame cache issues
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 8:02:53 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "
THE FLIPPIN' UNDO COMMAND IS BROKEN!"

No it isn't.

At least, not on either of my machines at home (Mac and Windows). I had intermittent problems with undo on 13.5, but using 13.6 I haven't had a single issue with it. There's something awry, of course, since some people have an issue. But it is not broken for all users (or even most users or there would be a bigger uproar).

That being said, the AE team at Adobe has been quite clear that CC 2015 is a work in progress as they build AE's brand new architecture. Even if corporate Adobe seems to be ignoring it and pushing on like everything is normal, it isn't! Treat CC 2015 like a beta version where you can try some of the new features, but keep CC 2014 on hand in case something goes awry.

For me, I love CC 2015. It works well on my system. I can work faster with it and do more in less time. I almost exclusively use AE CC 2015 in my home studio.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2015 at 5:32:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 3, 2015 at 5:58:06 pm

[Michael Szalapski]: "...Even if corporate Adobe seems to be ignoring it and pushing on like everything is normal, it isn't! Treat CC 2015 like a beta version where you can try some of the new features, but keep CC 2014 on hand in case something goes awry."

So how's the thought of paying a monthly fee to be a Beta tester for Adobe workin' out for you, Michael?

Time was, software developers would pay people (or give them freebies) to test new software. Now Adobe's got people paying THEM to do it! What a racket!

But it's not a big surprise I suppose. Once you start renting a currently-irreplacable, must-have application like AE, they've GOT you! It's like the protection racket out of The Godfather... actually, the drug business might the better metaphor.

I remember Virgil Solazzo saying to Don Vito Corelone, "Drugs, they're the coming thing."

Creative Cloud... it's the coming thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: cc2015 frame cache issues
by on Dec 3, 2015 at 6:15:23 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "So how's the thought of paying a monthly fee to be a Beta tester for Adobe workin' out for you, Michael?"

I don't pay a monthly fee to be a beta tester. The monthly fee is for access to the Creative Cloud. As a subscriber, which versions I choose to use are up to me. Nothing says I have to use the latest version. Why people think they need to is beyond me.

I could understand a newbie being confused by this, I suppose, but you have been around long enough to know better!

And, CC 2015 - especially since 13.6 - has been working out very well for me. I don't use CC 2014 anymore (except for rendering certain comps that can use multiprocessing).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2015 at 12:56:55 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 5, 2015 at 1:01:07 am

[Michael Szalapski]: “…Nothing says I have to use the latest version. Why people think they need to is beyond me.”

Oh, I dunno. A few people on Adobe’s AE forum have made vague, non-committal but still-tantalizing references to the most recent bug fix that would encourage the gullible to climb on the bandwagon. There’s one guy on that forum who goes by the handle of Szalam who’s good at it. Here are some quotes:

Nov 23, 2015 12:33 PM
“There is an update coming out in about a week for CC 2015 that is meant to fix many bugs.”

Nov 23, 2015 12:36 PM
“The update is scheduled for "the end of the month" according to Adobe folks. That means it's a week (or less) away!”

Nov 24, 2015 1:20 PM
“The Adobe folks have said that the update is coming "at the end of the month", so it's less than a week away!”

Nov 25, 2015 7:54 AM
“If I recall correctly, there are some fixes in this area in the update that's scheduled to be released "at the end of the month". Let's hope it fixes it!”

Here’s the deal: for years, AE was in the professional realm. Then Adobe decided to broaden AE’s appeal with some intense marketing directed at those who had no business using it. They had no concept of hardware specs or basic training. They rarely go beyond the thought, “I’ve got as computer – I can do this stuff, too!” Sometimes they could, often they couldn’t. Sometimes their hardware got in the way, sometimes it didn’t. Camera technology got more diverse, in the professional realm, the semi-pros AND the amateurs, who Adobe was now openly courting.

So Adobe, already lagging behind applications like Motion in speed of preview and rendering, found itself in the unenviable position of making its software work on every kind of bizarre platform that pros, marketing assistants, gamers, youtubers, art majors, or small business owners might use. It worked lots of the time, but not all of the time.

Then…. THEN…. Adobe decides to re-work decades-old code; a tough job, welcomed by all, and long overdue. Did the Powers That Be at Adobe assign extra people to this Herculean task? No. What did the Powers That Be at Adobe do? It appears they mandated that this work be released in an incomplete state, breaking features that formerly worked just fine! They issued a bug fix, which actually fixed some things but broke others. They then released another bug fix which in turn fixed some things but broke others.

Some users reported no problems, but many found the software useless. Why? Because Adobe failed at fixing bugs that would crop up on every kind of bizarre platform that marketing assistants, gamers, youtubers, art majors, or small business owners might use.

Do you fail to see how bizarre this is? Software that used to work that no longer works… and it was released as a new version! Bug fixes that create new bugs! All the time they’re dangling that carrot out there that says things will get better.

And people are actually buying that line. Well, Adobe wanted to lure in the marketing assistants, gamers, youtubers, art majors, and small business owners, and they got ‘em. They made their own bed, and now they can lie in it.

I’m a user. Not a computer whiz, not a hot-shot editor, not a ground-breaking VFX guy, a user. When I have computer problems, I call somebody. I don’t presume I can fix it myself. But there was a time when I was confident that Adobe software would work. I actually installed a couple of versions of Creative Suite on my home machine all by myself, and it has performed like a champ ever since.

That confidence has evaporated.

I’m sick of how top-level Adobe executives are running the company. I’m sick of how its in-house marketing seems to take precedence over the things that software developers can actually develop. I’ve lost any respect I had for the organization. If I didn’t have to use the damn software I wouldn’t. If you want to parrot the company line, go ahead. I won’t have any part of it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]