ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

SportsCenter style highlight effects!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikko TanSportsCenter style highlight effects!
by on Nov 29, 2015 at 10:41:12 pm

Hello everybody!

I'm an aspiring sports reporter attending the University of Florida and for an After Effects project, I want take highlights from NFL/NBA games and analyze the plays that happen. For enhancement, I want to be able to isolate specific players to show where they go.

For example: during a Cleveland Cavaliers highlight, I want to have a ring under LeBron James that follows him where he moves around the court. I've attached a sample from a video below.

(Start the video at 1:10)

I've done a little research and it seems like I need to work with tracking mattes? Other than that, I don't really know where to start. Any and all help will be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: SportsCenter style highlight effects!
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:19:06 am

I saw a really effective player highlight effect on... CBS, I think, and it's easy to pull off in AE. You start with B&W video, and highlight the player in color video with a bordered wipe.

In. AE, it goes like this : start with 2 identical video layers. Add AE's black& white effect to it. Animate a mask on the upper color layer, using Stroke on the mask. Couldn't be easier, and it really makes the player easy to spot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: SportsCenter style highlight effects!
by on Nov 30, 2015 at 11:52:52 am

To put the ring underneath the players, but to avoid rotoscoping, you'll need to pull a key from the floor.

Start here and ask questions:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved