UpperField Prerenders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lenz Eternel
UpperField Prerenders
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:00:06 pm

Hello.
I need help with understanding how to prerender when working fith upper field
I am working with TV channel and i need to send them final renders in H.264, 1920x1080, Upper field first. The problem is - it is very slow to render and when the clients want to change something, we need to rerender everything. The solution is to use prerenders. But I dont understand how to use prerender, in what field should i prerender, what output module should i use? or how should i interpret the prerender footage?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: UpperField Prerenders
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:33:26 pm

That's an odd specification. H.264 doesn't HAVE fields! It's progressive.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lenz Eternel
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:17:26 pm

Can you explain? There is an option in after effects to render h.264 in upper field or lower field first, so i dont understand what do you mean

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:23:00 pm

AE may let you render in fields, but the final H.264 file won't have fields. H.264 does not have fields, It's progressive-only.

I would double-check those delivery specs. Someone has something fouled up. Besides, it's not a problem to play progressive-frame video on TV. Have you ever watched a movie on TV? They're shot in progressive.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lenz Eternel
on Nov 24, 2015 at 11:42:25 am

Yeah, i know its weird specification, but this is what they told us to do. Until november, we were rendering in 720 x 576 with 1.46 pixel ratio, lower field first avi dv pal. But in november they went to hd, but still asked to render in upper field.
And i still dont understand, i can clearly see an interlacing in our renders in h.264, which means there are fields, am i wrong?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:01:19 pm

H.264 does support interlaced-scan encoding.

You will want to change your render settings for your pre-render so that "Field render" is on. Then you could use a lossless output module, or build a visually lossless output module with ProRes or CineForm.

What version of Ae are you using? What are your computer specs? Do the comps you need to pre-render contain alpha?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Lenz Eternel
on Nov 24, 2015 at 2:00:58 pm

I am using cs6. I have i7 960, gtx 660, 24gb ddr3, windows 7 64. I dont need alpha in prerenders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]