ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a dozen swish pans that must piggy back off each other.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Making a dozen swish pans that must piggy back off each other.
on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:28:30 pm
Last Edited By Scott Clements on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:41:31 pm

Okay, I am not very skilled with AE, but have to do something that is driving me nuts. I have to swish pan from one picture to another and then swish pan from the picture I landed on to another and so on and so on.
The method I created to do a swish pan in AE was to make a composition with the settings 5760 (1920x3) x1080. I then put the picture I was panning from on the far right and the picture I was panning to on the far left. In the middle, I duplicated on of the pictures, masked and feathered the edges, and put a directional blur on it. I then animated an 8 frame swished with the oversized come in a final HD1920x1080 frame. It's not perfect, but for my purposed it works well. However, I can not figure out how to do this in piggy backing function. I tried blending pre comps together, but it got so messy and convoluted. Does anyone have any ideas?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Making a dozen swish pans that must piggy back off each other.
on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:38:28 pm

It's a lot easier than you think if you're actually animating the position of the pictures, AND it's a big change, and it's a fast animation -- use AE's built-in Motion blur. It should be just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:46:44 pm

Hi, Dave. I am animating the position of the pictures, but I am hitting road blocks. I tried putting all my pictures in one big comp and animating the position, but I hit AE's 30,0000 pixel limit. I can't figure out how to link pre comps together. The end picture of one swish has to be in the EXACT same position to swish to the next. I don't know how to make this happen with pre comps . Almost all the pans are right to left, so I do hit the maximum comp width. I don't know how to link the end of one come with the same picture starting another. I know this may sound really silly to an experienced AE user. I just don't use it enough and I am totally stuck.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Nov 23, 2015 at 9:51:36 pm

This is my situation, I have to swish from picture A to B (with fake camera swish in the middle) Then, I have to swish from picture B to picture C. Because I am doing this several times, I can't fit all the pictures in one comp (I hit AE's max comp size limit before I'm done my chain), so I run into a problem of having picture B that swishes from A not being in the exact same position to swish to B. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:31:08 pm

Well, you you shouldn't need a precomp and you don't need ALL the pictures side-by side at once. At the most, you need three: the current pic, the previous pic and the next pic. When you're done with a pic, just trim up the layer.

And it's not tough to get precise placements of the pictures, either: just place them in their final resting place in the comp, move the timeline cursor to the point where you want it to move, and move the pic off the screen. You can even parent one pic to another and animate the position on just one pic.

Currently, you're just going about this in less-than-optimal way, that's all.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:40:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm not getting this. Gonna have to hit the hay. Maybe it will make sense in the morning.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:14:44 pm

G'nite! This is really pretty easy. Don't overthink it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:34:06 pm

I actually stayed up a bit later. I strung together about 22 frames (all of them outside the frame, floating in the canvas)....parenting each one to the one before. I then animated the first one, pulling all the others into frame, bit by bit, to create the whips. It's super awkward/fiddly, but at least it sort of works. I'm not very good with AE, as I only use it once in a while.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:51:21 pm

Okay. That will do the trick. If you want more motion blur, go to the Comp Settings>Advanced Settings and change the Shutter Angle from the default angle of 180-degrees to 360 or even more! I've used 720-degrees before. It can't exist in the real world, but it does in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]