ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Machine Specs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen OngAfter Effects Machine Specs
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 2:27:24 pm

Ok I'm upgrading my hardware, I've been working on a MacBook Pro (16GB top end) for the past year and I think I'm slowly killing it with the amount of After Effects work I've been doing.

So as a Mac user switching to PC I'm a noob, but here's what I've put together...
Any advice / recommendations would be great,

Processor - Intel® Xeon® 8-Core E5-2640V3 (2.6 GHz, 8.00 GT/s, 20M L3 Cache)
Motherboard - ASUS® X99-A: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory - 64GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (8 x 8GB)
Graphics Card - PNY QUADRO K620 - 2GB GDDR3, 384 CUDA Cores - 1 x DP, 1 x DVI
2 x 240GB HyperX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Raid 0 Stripped
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

A few questions I have..
Can I use my old SSD external cache with this machine, its a Lacie Little Big Disks I currently have thunderbolt so will using a USB instead just negate the point in it. Storage drives also thunderbolt Lacie rugged, what will I need to connect?

Does the Raid 0 stripped make much of a difference to Ae work?

Is that graphics card ok with Ae, I wasn't thinking i'd need to go overboard there, I use C4D very occasionally.

How do i get HDMI in to that graphics card, or should i just use the PC connections for my monitor, are they better refresh rate?

I have more cash to spend but didnt want to overkill, this is coming in at £2k, I'd maybe push up to £3k.
I work with a lot of 2D stuff, Duik rigs, character animation and typography, not much in terms of crazy effects. Use C4D a bit too.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: After Effects Machine Specs
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 7:03:26 pm

[Stephen Ong] "Is that graphics card ok with Ae, I wasn't thinking i'd need to go overboard there, I use C4D very occasionally."

I'd even say that if you don't use 3D all that much to change that to a consumer grade with equivalent cost that would still give you better performance in case you end up using it. Most GTX nowadays will come with enought output ports (I use 3 monitor, you haven't specified) and have more cuda cores and are cheaper than the quadros.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Stephen OngRe: After Effects Machine Specs
by on Nov 20, 2015 at 7:44:27 pm

Thanks Cassius
Would a consumer graphics card be ok for 3D in Ae using cameras over 2D layers?
I assume we are talking high spec 3D work in C4D?

I'd like to get more into C4D, just am not using it for client work yet, would the card there be overkill for basic logo animations in C4D even? I'd be interested in keeping the option open of being able to use the machine for 3D further down the line.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2015 at 8:27:14 pm

[Stephen Ong] "Would a consumer graphics card be ok for 3D in Ae using cameras over 2D layers?"

Won't make a single difference. Its all on the CPU (unless you intend to use GPU capable plugins such as Element 3d, and on that case a consumer grade will still outclass that quadro (more cuda cores))

[Stephen Ong] "I assume we are talking high spec 3D work in C4D?"
The only reason to go for a quadro is huge scenes in a 3d application viewport. Quadros, as far as I know can compute opengl faster and with more precision. And that won't mean you will render out of C4d faster (that too will be on the CPU).

[Stephen Ong] "I'd like to get more into C4D, just am not using it for client work yet, would the card there be overkill for basic logo animations in C4D even?"

Basically any current mid class GPU would be overkill for C4D, it only enables you to preview your viewport faster. Unless again you go for renderers that rely on it. (Octane, for example)

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2015 at 8:45:07 pm

Thanks again,
So better off adding more cores to the processor than having a good GPU for After Effects / C4D.
That will save a little bit not having that GPU, so tempted to add more cores or another SSD drive.

I was wondering if having RAID 0 stripped actually helps with Ae? as isnt it better to have your drives working independent of each other, RAID 0 seems like the drives write where they want and might slow down Ae?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2015 at 9:18:42 pm

[Stephen Ong] "So better off adding more cores to the processor than having a good GPU for After Effects / C4D."

Not on every case, I mean, I definitely DON'T recommend THAT GPU. For the average use or at least what you specified, you can get better for the same price/cheaper.

But I for instance need fast GPU's with at least 4GB ram. Some AE projects of mine simply won't render a frame with fewer than that (using Element 3d). I feel that now and forward there will be more and more applications and plugins that will make use of it.

If you have the time and interest I can be more precise in the kind of work that I do that require that.

We're thousand of miles away and perhaps we do diferent type of motion, but I do recommend a good gpu and not that quadro.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

by on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:56:33 am

Definitely be keen to hear what you work with.

I had a look at your work, not a million miles from what I'm doing.
Anda SP, Cuidando Pet, RAFA Coca Cola, 20 Anos are very similar to my current projects, 2D character rigs.

I've been working on a 60s long piece, it's looking great but it's struggling with the render taking around 2 hours for 60s, the first 20s were rendering in 10 mins, now 60s into project it's so slow, this is on my MacBook Pro, so not great spec.

Maybe I need to manage my workflow differently and cut scenes up more into seperate Ae projects? Previewing entire project is fine at 1/3 resolution just render times so unreliable, a client asks me when i can get a file to them and i have to say 2 hours maybe 4 hours, who knows!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects Machine Specs
by on Nov 21, 2015 at 11:18:49 am

If you're not getting dual CPUs, I think you should stick with an i7 instead of a Xeon.

Check out this thread:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1066289

Lots of good advice from different perspectives.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]