ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composite with red RAW

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose PerezComposite with red RAW
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 3:43:08 pm

Hi

As I understand, you are supposed to keep your files in RAW format as long as possible.

I´m done with my edit, and am cleaning stuff in After Effects. Yet my color grading is not done yet (it will be done later) so my composites are linked to the R3D file (hopefully, the colorist can grade the clips and then re-render the After effects composites with the graded files).

My problem is with some composites that need some extra work. I need to take part of the clip, edit it in Photoshop, and put it back in the composite (to remove a lamp, for example).

My question is: which is the correct workflow for this?

So far I interpret the footage in RedFilmLog, and use that to get the image I need in Photoshop, but I worry the colorist will have problems with this.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Composite with red RAW
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 7:55:41 pm

[Jose Perez] "hopefully, the colorist can grade the clips and then re-render the After effects composites with the graded files"

That's pretty non-traditional, and since you're making plates in Ps, not as straightforward as you suggest here.

[Jose Perez] "My question is: which is the correct workflow for this? So far I interpret the footage in RedFilmLog, and use that to get the image I need in Photoshop, but I worry the colorist will have problems with this."

Workflow is all over the place -- everyone does it a little differently. The best thing you can do is talk to your colorist about how to proceed.

The thing I'd generally recommend is to do VFX on top of a "pre-grade" -- basically let the colorist get a first pass in. Match your VFX to the pre-graded plates, then hand them back to color for the final grade.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]