ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pulling out this shot -newbie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tibi IorgaPulling out this shot -newbie
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 9:32:28 am

Hello guys,

I was astonished by the community here, so I decided to create an account. Nice to meet you all !

So, I am a relatively new user of Adobe AE, because I mainly work in Premiere. But I am looking forward to nailing down AE in the next year so I can get the techy side out of my way and focus on the creative one.

I am doing a short film for my University, and I have a transition in mind that I want to pull out and I was wondering if there was a way to do it.

The whole movie is a sort of a "rags to riches" story where I narrate how the first months of Uni changed my perspective on the world.

In one sequence, the voice over goes " I felt so excited I finally made it to the University I wanted to go " and the sequence of the shots is :

1. medium over-the-head shot of my hand holding a printed picture with the University (wide shot)

and this is where the transition occurs. Because I want to bring the picture with my hand to the camera closer so that the printed picture becomes the actual wide shot of the University

I wonder how I can pull a smooth transition. I was thinking of filming the University in a wide shot first, removing the first frame of the video and somehow mapping in into the 1st shot.

Do you guys think I can pull off a seamless transition? My concerns regard how can I align the "zooming in" of the picture so that it transitions perfectly to the wide angle shot.

Thank you for your help,

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Pulling out this shot -newbie
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 1:52:32 pm

You're on to something- the way to go is to film the university shot and then use the first frame to create the photo. The trick is to think the sequence all together and not just the 2 shots. Show a medium shot before of you/hand picking up the photo, then cut to the hand bringing the photo in the frame in a POV shot. It would be great if you can shoot this in a larger resolution (4k) and then do the zoom to the photo in post. You can either print out a photo using the first frame from the shot you're going to use later, or for better control, shoot a cardboard with track points in the hand and then track and add the image on the card. Create the zoom to fit the frame of the photo with the frame of the composition and transition to the shot of the university. Some sort of color transition (more saturated colors in the photo to more natural colors in the video for example) will help.
The easier version would be to take a still shot of your hand with a card in it, put the still frame on the card, add zoom,slight camera shake and match grain in AE. This way you can tweak the shot as much as you want, and if you use 3d space for the 2d cards you can make use of focus shift, blur the background and generate parallax with a 3d camera travel into the picture instead of a zoom.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tibi IorgaRe: Pulling out this shot -newbie
by on Nov 18, 2015 at 2:39:49 pm
Last Edited By Tibi Iorga on Nov 18, 2015 at 3:07:26 pm

I have the whole thing story boarded and I really wanted this shot. Now I have a lead, so thank you so much for your help.

I was thinking of the same sort of transition, I want it to be subtly visible in the sense of color, and not jumpy in the sense of not properly aligning the still frame and the actual wide shot . I think by printing the photo I will get some sort of "natural" color transition. I don't think I have time to reach the desired level ( the deadline is 1st of December) of VFX knowledge to pull out your second advice.

I will try to scale it and try to properly fit it.

Thank you again for your help !

EDIT: I checked the VFx suggestion you gave me and it doesn't sound that hard, I might try it. Either way I'll let you know how it turned out !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved