ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble with video stabilization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Carney
Trouble with video stabilization
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:09:57 pm

So I know I did this to myself but I thought I'd be able to easily stabilize it afterwards.
What's happening here is a timelapse of roughly 900 frames that I've edited in Lightroom and used a timelapse plugin to render out a video. I wanted to do a pan during the timelapse but I don't have any sort of a motor to do it with so I just manually panned the camera every 10 frames and then every 5 frames after the sun was up. This is the glitchy-ness that you see in the exported video -

I then took this video into After Effects and ran Warp Stabilizer VFX and I've tried multiple settings and combinations but I can't get a final product that doesn't still have some glitches or very noticeable corner pin distortions/zoom-ins. The final clip that I am looking to get will be 7-10 seconds long, if that helps at all.

Any ideas on other methods I could try short of keyframing it manually?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Trouble with video stabilization
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:15:04 pm

That's a private video and isn't viewable.

Return to posts index

Sean Carney
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:35:49 pm

Sorry about that, it should be viewable now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:52:43 pm

Y'know, there's still going to be a few nice fall days left in Lincoln. I'd take advantage of them for a reshoot. You know what you did wrong, which means next time you'll do it right.

In the end it will be a lot easier than polishing a turd in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Carney
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:02:40 pm

Very true Dave. Although I may have to give up on the pan because I don't know if I have the ability to move in the fraction of an angle that I would need to in order to fit in enough frames, but if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:24:29 pm

Manually doing a pan is tough, but if you shoot large photos you can easily add some movement in post afterwards without sacrifice any resolution. It won't be quite as good as a pan or dolly movement, but it won't be a static shot either.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:33:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:36:08 pm

Here's a thought: they sell clock drives for telescopes. You use them to to keep celestial objects in the 'scope's field of view. If you can scrounge one up and hook it to the camera head, you may be golden. They move at the rate of the Earth's rotation, so camera motion blur would hardly be an issue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Carney
on Nov 17, 2015 at 7:13:43 pm

I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for the tip Dave!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 17, 2015 at 9:40:34 pm

I don't know that you wouldn't be able to stabilize it with a single tracker point at the corner of the building and then add pan back in.

Return to posts index

Stephen Patience
on Nov 18, 2015 at 11:04:55 am

I would use Deshaker. Google / YouTube it. I've had better luck with that than warp stabiliser for time lapse.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 23, 2015 at 11:20:35 am

Looks pretty good to me with the combination of single-point tracking, position keyframing, precomposing and Warp Stabilizer. The lens flares are the main thing that jump around now. Maybe some sort of a frame bend would help lessen that effect some.

Time lapse fix

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]