ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fps interpretation issue with dynamic link Premiere to After Effects to Mocha AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tarjei TandstadFps interpretation issue with dynamic link Premiere to After Effects to Mocha AE
by on Nov 13, 2015 at 12:09:04 am

Hey guys,

I've been editing some drone footage in Premiere Pro CC 2015 and wanted to add some graphical elements tracked onto the landscape in my video by tracking it in Mocha AE.

I've run into an issue thats driving me nuts, which it seemed to me I was going to find a facepalm-inducingly simple explanation to, but despite of several attempted workarounds and hours of trawling the net I cannot seem to find it, so I'll post it here for you all to enjoy my embarrassment. And hopefully give some sensible advice.

The original footage I'm editing in Premiere is shot in 29,97fps. To keep things familiar to myself I chose to create a sequence in 25fps and interpret the footage to 25fps, mainly because I always use to edit and output in 25fps, and for this particular project I would only appreciate the slight slow-motion it produces.

I chose a clip I wanted to track my graphics to, and sent it to After Effects with the CC Dynamic Link. Once inside After Effects, I notice that the composition automatically created is in 25fps, but the original footage automatically imported says 29,97fps. Which I'm certain is supposed to be that way, as the video in the comp plays back fine and  excatly like in Premiere. It made me curious though, and only as a test, I hit Modify > Interpret Footage and converted it to 25fps - which only displaced my earlier edit. Apparently AE doesn't need my help in sorting this stuff out.

I return it to 29,97 and proceed to track the clip in Mocha AE. But the dialogue box that follows, the footage is set to 29,97fps. I figure Mocha draws directly from the original footage file and you need to do this manually, so I change it to 25fps and I hit OK. But as I scrub through the footage in Mocha I see that my edit is all displaced, just as if the video was set to 29,97. I scratch my head, go back and import it anew and this time leave it in 29,97 just to see what happens, and its displaced just the same.

I tried variations of changing the settings in the different programs but nothing seemed to let me track the footage interpreted to 25fps. I considered rendering a separate file of just the clip in question converted to 25fps and then running it through Mocha, which I reckon will work fine, but I intend to add a lot of these graphic elements and it seemed like a pain when I have a nagging feeling that there must be a simpler way by the click of the right button.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm rather autodidact on this stuff and I tend to work things out in my own way and create tremendous headaches for myself. I wonder if my workflow here is flawed from the get-go? I remember years ago I would use Cinema Tools and convert all footage to 25fps before starting an edit, but I thought those days were long gone, as all the programs seem to have learned to interpret your footage to your preference and it mostly works perfectly.

Hope someone knows better!
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fps interpretation issue with dynamic link Premiere to After Effects to Mocha AE
by on Nov 13, 2015 at 12:42:11 am

You made your life very difficult for yourself the moment you chose to edit 29.97 footage in a 25 timeline. Your only recourse is to re-edit in Premiere. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved