ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Texture layer in a precomp with two pngs underneath leaves white edges in the main comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Neumann
Texture layer in a precomp with two pngs underneath leaves white edges in the main comp
on Nov 11, 2015 at 4:26:00 pm
Last Edited By Felix Neumann on Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42:09 pm

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this board, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I have a main comp with several precomps that contain png-layers with alpha channel. Inside each individual precomp I want to add a texture layer and stick it onto the pngs – and leave out the alpha channel. Here's a screenshot of the problem:

So I put the texture ("XX_OVERLAY.png, marked ORANGE) above my two layers (05_TAG_1_BERGE.png and 04_NACHT_BERGE_2.png, marked YELLOW) set it on multiply and checked the "preserve transparency" box.

I tried a lot of troubleshooting options already but still in the main comp the texture leaves white edges around my precomp (can be seen in the top composition-window). And also I want to avoid opening all my layers in Photoshop again and adding the texture there. I know this would be a way to fix this, but I am hoping that there is also an option within After Effects...

Anyone know a way to fix this? My After Effects is in German, so don't be confused :)

Thanks in advance!

Felix

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Texture layer in a precomp with two pngs underneath leaves white edges in the main comp
on Nov 11, 2015 at 4:53:53 pm

Put layer 2 ABOVE layer 1. In the new layer 2, use the new layer 1 as an alpha matte. it will limit the new layer 2's multiply mode tp the landscape.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Felix Neumann
Re: Texture layer in a precomp with two pngs underneath leaves white edges in the main comp
on Nov 11, 2015 at 5:13:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Dave!

But I tried that option before and it doesn't seem to work, cause I need the texture to be multiplied with the green of the landscape. The client won't let me change the colors and the level of transparency of the texture layer as well.

Does that make sense? Or am I completely misunderstanding.

Also: the two individual landscape-pngs in my screenshot should function as one green solid shape and therefore have the texture on top only once. If I precomp the two landscapes and work with the texture on top or underneath that precomp, the white edges still don't disappear.

I might have to go back into photoshop after all :/

2D Motion Designer based in Berlin | https://vimeo.com/vonliska

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2015 at 5:15:22 pm

No, you just have to learn how Track Mattes work in AE. Search for that term and start reading.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Felix Neumann
on Nov 11, 2015 at 5:18:40 pm

Well, I have been working with track mattes for some time now. It doesn't change the fact that the white edges won't disappear.
But maybe you're right and I have to read more then. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:12:32 pm

I think if you remove the white from the layer you're multiplying it will solve the issue. Invert the layer, apply Unmult and invert again

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Felix Neumann
on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:45:50 pm

Awesome, Cassius! This worked! Thanks a lot :)

_____

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:08:06 pm

I wonder if the track matte isn't off by a fraction of a pixel?

I also wonder how it looks at 100% size and Full resolution?

There's also an issue -- I've never encountered it -- where edges are cleaned up by turning on Alpha Add in the comp settings.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Felix Neumann
on Nov 11, 2015 at 9:47:35 pm

I tried the Alpha Add before – didn't work.
I've used it in one of my projects before, but only on vectorized layers that I had imported form Illustrator. Maybe it only works then.

But anyways: Unmult did the trick!

_____

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]