ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects more masks in different time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Igor FrankAfter Effects more masks in different time
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:42:10 pm

I'm new to Affter Effects and most of the problem I can find on this forum or elsewhere but I can't figure this one. I want to mask more parts of the clip to be colorful in different time and everything else have black&white. Say I want two masks to show in first second and stay there until the end and another 4 masks to show in third second. Only way I know how to do that is have one adjustement layer with lots of masks and black&white effect on it, but this doesn't seem to me as proper way to do. Could someone help me?

(Oh and I'm sorry for my English, it's not very good)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects more masks in different time
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 7:39:12 pm

That's actually a reasonable way to do it. You can even animate the opacity of the masked sections if you need to.

Now, motion tracking might help you (depending on the shot). But if that's the case, you might be better served making different layers for the different sections in a precomp and then use that precomp as a track matte for your color layer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Igor FrankRe: After Effects more masks in different time
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 9:35:55 pm

Thanks for reply, it seems pretty annoying to have about 20 or more masks in one layer, so I'll try to look into a precomp and if that fails I'll go back to one layer and lots of masks.

btw. nice signature *thumbs up*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved