Animated Chalkboard Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Zamora
Animated Chalkboard Video
on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:30:26 am
Last Edited By Miguel Zamora on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:31:11 am

Hi All,

I am starting some research on creating an animated motion video over a black chalk board background. I want chalk animation to appear and disappear similar to the commercial below.

I plan on having an artist draw out the chalk graphics, I'll take individual photographs of the graphics on a 5D MK II, mask them out in either PS or AE, and then animate them in AE.

Does any one have any tips, or advice on properly pulling this off, or know where I might find some solid tutorials? My deadline for this is early December, and I want to be sure I use my time efficiently during this workflow.

Thank you, all!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Animated Chalkboard Video
on Nov 7, 2015 at 11:51:20 am

[Miguel Zamora] "Does any one have any tips, or advice on properly pulling this off, or know where I might find some solid tutorials? My deadline for this is early December, and I want to be sure I use my time efficiently during this workflow."

Spend the first couple days testing your workflow. You'll learn a ton as you run into and solve problems.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 9, 2015 at 6:52:38 pm

Thank you Walter, I worked on it over the weekend and was able to see what I'll be capable of. I agree, testing is so important for any project.

Return to posts index

jay mueller
on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:11:16 pm

I think you're making this way too difficult. If you need to hire somebody, hire a graphic artist to make the "chalkboard" elements for you. They will be ready to animate and placed on top of a chalkboard bkgd.

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 9, 2015 at 6:57:12 pm

Jay,

I thought about it, but from the designs I've seen so far, they all have a very similar chalk look, as in a series of lines (I forgot the exact name of this effect) within the graphic to imitate chalk. I feel that having live chalk designs allow more possibilities with how the colors will blend and how the chalk itself is applied.

I did some tests over the weekend using my poor chalk design skills, and was able to mask and animate the images successfully onto a new chalk BG.

I appreciate your input!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 9, 2015 at 7:37:19 pm

[Miguel Zamora] "I did some tests over the weekend using my poor chalk design skills, and was able to mask and animate the images successfully onto a new chalk BG. "

Check out Unmult [link]. It makes alpha/transparency from black, so it might be useful in separating your art from the background.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 9, 2015 at 10:52:15 pm

Whoa, this is great. Thanks, Walter!

Return to posts index

Iwan Smith
on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:24:55 pm

Hi Miguel,
I could do similar for you. Drop me a message through my website http://iwansfactory.com if you are interested.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)

http://iwansfactory.com
Motion graphics portfolio

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 9, 2015 at 10:54:07 pm

Hi Iwan,

I appreciate your offer, but I want to tackle this project to grow as an artist. Your work does look great, though, kudos!

Best,

Miguel

Return to posts index

Iwan Smith
on Nov 10, 2015 at 8:01:52 pm

No problem, Miguel. Thanks for the feedback about my portfolio :) if you will have a sample of your animation, I am looking forward to see it, maybe I can suggest something to improve

http://iwansfactory.com
Motion graphics portfolio

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:16:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been meaning to share this video for a while. I was curious how long it "should" take a more experienced Animator to create this type of video. My edit time was longer than I care to admit, lol.

In any case, I look forward to your feedback, and thank you for all the help!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 14, 2016 at 8:37:54 pm

Nice work! I would have to say a couple of hours.

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Sep 30, 2016 at 10:45:57 pm

Thanks Roei!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]