ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element only single-core?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Element only single-core?
on Nov 6, 2015 at 9:28:13 pm

I'm working on a project with heavy geometry in Element v2.2.2. On my 2013 8/D700 it runs inside of the Element interface with full textures, 8k HDR, physical shaders, AO, etc. slick as can be. When I then light and work with the export inside of Ae, it takes a long time to update a single frame even w/ adaptive, low quality viewer settings, 1/4 resolution.

Rendering takes quite a bit of time. During rendering, only 1 core is being used. Is Element only single-core when rendered out of Ae? I found that CC 2014 renders out faster than 2015 even though both of them are only using 1 core (95% on 2015 and 105% on 2014).

Any tips from experienced Element users are appreciated.

Also, can someone recommend a utility like Activity Monitor, but one which can monitor both GPU usage as well as VRAM usage for dual GPU setups?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Element only single-core?
on Nov 6, 2015 at 9:43:09 pm

[Brad Bussé] "Is Element only single-core when rendered out of Ae?"

Element doesn't rely much on the CPU, other than to intermediate access to the GPU. Element isn't very multiprocessing-friendly with CC 2014 and previous, either, because the multiple instances end up competing for GPU resources.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Nov 6, 2015 at 9:58:19 pm

Thanks, Walter. It would seem that Element would benefit from supporting multi-core just from the observation that it's completely maxing out the single core during rendering.

Do you know if Element supports dual D700s? I'm wanting a utility that monitors the GPUs and VRAM so that I can see where bottlenecks are in my workflow.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 7, 2015 at 11:47:36 am

[Brad Bussé] "Thanks, Walter. It would seem that Element would benefit from supporting multi-core just from the observation that it's completely maxing out the single core during rendering. "

Bit of an educated guess here, but you mentioned heavy geometry. Presumably this is where the CPU is carrying the load. Can you reduce your poly count?

[Brad Bussé] "Do you know if Element supports dual D700s? I'm wanting a utility that monitors the GPUs and VRAM so that I can see where bottlenecks are in my workflow."

Try iStat Menus?
https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Nov 9, 2015 at 6:07:23 pm

Not much at this point in the workflow (the character models are already reduced and using normal maps), but I'm 2/3 done now. I did find that in Element there is a checkbox for optimizing geometry which does some reduction, so I enabled that for all of my models.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]