ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shy switches won't work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim ScottShy switches won't work
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:08:25 am

I am using AE CS6 (version 11.0.4) on Mac OS 10.8.5 and am unable to shy layers in the timeline. When I click on the switch it will momentarily change to the "shy" icon, and the layer will very briefly disappear in the timeline if Shy is active, but it will then return to the "not shy" icon as soon as I release the mouse click. Trying to shy the layer by using the menu - Layer>Switches>Shy - does nothing as well.

I was trying out a script (Illumination), which creates multiple lights which are automatically "shy," but in my case those lights are being created "not shy." I removed the script from the Scripts folder, but the problem remained.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shy switches won't work
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:10:43 am

Hmmm... I wonder if trashing AE Preferences would fix it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Shy switches won't work
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 2:18:39 am

That was a good thought, Dave, but unfortunately trashing preferences didn't fix it.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shy switches won't work
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 6:34:01 am

Using any other third-party extensions? A layer folder plug-in really messed this up a few years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:16:45 pm

Thanks for the input Todd.

I have many third-party plugins - Trapcode, Boris, Red Giant, Video Copilot, etc. - and many scripts, a few of which effect layers. Which layer folder plug-in was causing the problems? Short of removing plug-ins one by one, is there any way to find the culprit? And can scripts which are installed in the Scripts folder, but not in use, cause the same kind of problems as flaky plug-ins?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shy switches won't work
by on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:35:01 pm

The plug-in that I'm referring to was simply called 'Layer Folders', if I recall correctly.

Scripts that are installed but haven't been run don't typically cause problems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:19:38 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:24:13 pm

Thanks again Todd.

I found the culprit and removed it. It was GM FoldLayers that was causing the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]