ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with Keylight Matte and masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Problem with Keylight Matte and masks
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:04:15 pm

I'm trying to render an alpha matte of my key. The key consists of severel masks which I used to pull different keys on various part of the subject. The masks are all feathered and are layered on top of each other. The subject looks fine in "Final Result" view:

Final Result:

But when I turn all my layers into Combined Mattes and Screen Mattes, I end up with this:

Combined Matte:

Screen Matte:

The Combined Matte cuts a huge chunk out of the layer below it, and the Screen Matte gives me an ugly box around the mask, as if there is a rectangular shape around his head, however there are no masks in place where that rectangle appears.

I need the seperate layer for the top of his head because I require his hair to be more soft than the rest of his body. How can I render a white matte that doesn't have any strange transitions or borders around the overlapping masks?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problem with Keylight Matte and masks
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:11:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:13:06 pm

I'd build the matte from multiple layers in a nested comp. Once you have all the bits & pieces to make a good key, you can use the nested comp as an alpha matte on the original footage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:22:55 pm

Thanks Dave! You just saved me a few days worth of insanity with all that it implies. I copy/pasted the nested comp several times above all my problematic layers and used every instance of it as a separate Alpha Matte for each one of them. That cleared up the problem really well.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:32:54 pm

Glad it worked for you, but I was thinking more in terms of a single matte living in a nested comp. It just goes to show you there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]