ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text "Vibration" and old style movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giovanni BinariText "Vibration" and old style movement
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 8:31:35 am

I'm not an expert of After Effects and videoediting so my question may have a really simple solution. I would like to type texts in overlay on my video (and this is basic) and then make them "vibrate", move millimetrically like if it was a 1930 video effect. I don't need any filters to make them look old. I just need to give them the moving effect. It also need to be reusable in any moment of my timeline and for any text object.

I can give you a link to a video in which a man uses this effect an all of his text. As you can see, the movement is always the same.

Thank you for the attention

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text "Vibration" and old style movement
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:40:36 pm

Looks like he used a preset to bring in his text that enables 3D, then added a 3D camera to the composition. Finally, a small wiggle expression is added to the position of the cam to create the movement. To do that, twirl open the camera's position property, alt_click the stopwatch and add: wiggle(3,10)

3 = times it wiggles per second.
10 = distance it moves.

Then just adjust those numbers to taste.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Giovanni BinariRe: Text "Vibration" and old style movement
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:01:22 pm

Thank you all, very clear! I managed to recreate the effect!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Text "Vibration" and old style movement
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 4:37:25 pm

The wiggle expression is going to blow your mind! :)
It's documented in AE's help. Basically, you want it to wiggle on every frame, but by a small value.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved