ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow tips; iPad Air 2, greenscreen, MacBook Pro Retina 13"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam CasserlyWorkflow tips; iPad Air 2, greenscreen, MacBook Pro Retina 13"
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:11:04 pm

Hi,
I am an ICT-pedagog working on some videos with greenscreen footage. I am using an iPad Air 2 64gb for shooting footage with FilmicPro at 32 mbps at 1080. I am editing in Adobes CC tools. The videos I am making are about 5 minutes long, say 15 minutes of raw footage. I am using a MacBook Pro Retina from early 2015 with 8 gb ram and Intel graphics. I am now looking for tips and tricks on which workflow is best used with these tools.

To learn the tools I am now importing to Prelude to make a rough cut. I then send this over to premiere where I cut things a bit cleaner. From here I send the whole sequence over to AE to key out the green screen. I do not have the power to do this in real time and also edit in Premiere so I export the movie from AE and pull this back into Premiere. I also render out movies of animations and titles/text and import them into Premiere.

Does this seem to be a good work flow with the tools I have? I am finding it difficult to decide which file type I should be using when exporting back and forth to not loose too much information.

Any tips would be great!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow tips; iPad Air 2, greenscreen, MacBook Pro Retina 13"
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:51:49 pm

The key is to give yourself the best chance at pulling a good key. What is the media container and acquisition codec when you shoot? What are the lighting conditions? Are you re-compressing as you go from application to application?

You may not have a choice in the matter, but shooting a chroma key with a tablet may not be your best bet. I don't think the use of an intermediate editing application would be necessary, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam CasserlyRe: Workflow tips; iPad Air 2, greenscreen, MacBook Pro Retina 13"
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave!

.mov container with h.264 is what FilmicPro (the iPad app in use) gives me. My lighting is as good as I can get it on my budget (read DIY soft boxes x 3 with 1 5200K bulb in each set up to give as good coverage to the green screen as possible. I am getting quite OK keying done, and unfortunately new hardware is not an option (I would also like to be able to show teachers who I work with that it doesn't have to be too difficult to make som OK videos on a budget).

It is the workflow between the applications that I am wondering mostly over. As an amateur in this field I am not quite sure what settings to use between apps to move my clips without recompressing. I should add that I have been recording audio on another device so my first step was to use premiere pro to sync my audio, then export to mpeg then ingest in Prelude where I made my rough cut which I then sent back to Premiere for precise cutting before sending to AE using dynamic link. From here I rendered my keying work to a new file which I then imported back into Premiere (after finding that dynamic linking is a bit too tough on my machine). To summarize:

Import into Premiere (.mov h.264)
Export to mpeg
Ingest mpeg without transcoding into Prelude
Send rough cut back to Premiere (no recoding)
Dynamic link to AE
Render out from AE
Import to Premiere to put final titles, etc on.
Export to final file.

I see myself that this is quite a workflow (I am also just trying to learn how to move between applications, I could not bother with Prelude and stay in Premiere. The footage is not long, but I would like to know HOW to use prelude.

My main question I guess is what format and settings I should be choosing when I do have to move between apps with a machine that can't handle dynamic linking? Also suggestions for the best workflow in general for this sort of editing would be great!

Thanks for your time with this amateur!

:: Adam Casserly, ICT-pedagog, Sweden

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow tips; iPad Air 2, greenscreen, MacBook Pro Retina 13"
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:42:59 pm

Well, sir, I would save learning about Prelude for another day. Premiere Pro to AE and back again simplifies the workflow, and avoids transcoding, which will deteriorate image quality... and with H.264, there isn't that much image quality to begin with. If you have an option for an acquisition codec, you might want to investigate it.

Which application will you use for keying? PP & AE both can do it. In fact, if you don't have specific reasons to go to AE, you may be able to keep it in PP entirely.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]