ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping Stops After 20 Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley WilsonRotoscoping Stops After 20 Frames
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:02:44 pm

I'm trying to do a shot on green screen with a moving camera. I'm using white tracking points on the green screen to achieve this, and it works very well in my 3D animation program. But now I need to remove the white dots from the green screen footage itself to overlay the actor on top of the animation background. My plan was to do some rough rotoscoping around the actor and chromakey all the green edges that bleed through. Seeing as how it's all on a green screen, the footage rotoscopes very well. The only problem is that it consistently stops tracking after exactly 20 frames and forces me to create a new outline around the actor. This is not only annoying but unnecessary. I think I've read that this is a safety feature, as usually you would have to fix the rotoscoping outline at least every 20 frames, but it's really not needed with this footage. The footage was being tracked beautifully, due to having a very even background to work with, and the outline is staying precisely around the actor. Having to draw it again just creates unnecessary work and makes the rotoscoping look worse than what the computer was doing with it. Is there any way I can set a higher limit on the number of frames it tracks to before it stops, or just eliminate the frame limit all-together. I plan to use this in future projects and this causes me far more work and stress than is needed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: otoscoping Stops After 20 Frames
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:58:11 pm

I hate to say this after you've shot, but I wouldn't have used white tracing points. I would have used a lighter or darker green.

If you go to Hollywoodvfx.com, you'll find training footage of green screen shots with tracking points on them. Check 'em out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:58:34 pm

Whoops! Gave you the wrong Web site!

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wesley WilsonRe: otoscoping Stops After 20 Frames
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:09:17 pm

Thank you. I actually watched this exact video series right before you posted. Looks like I'm going to have to reshoot. Wasn't too long of a shot, luckily.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:44:02 pm

Yeah, keying beats rotoscoping any day!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Devin KolovichRe: Rotoscoping Stops After 20 Frames
by on Jul 1, 2016 at 1:53:57 am

I was trying to figure this out too. So you can adjust that safety limit by adjusting the roto brush span range which is that gray bar beneath the playhead with the dark arrows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]