ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Will this look realistic ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Schmidt
Will this look realistic ?
on Oct 31, 2015 at 1:34:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I `m normally a music producer and musician and would appreciate REALLY honest feedback from you guys.
One of my clients wanna have scenes from a flying carpet (below) with the matte of Port Hercule of Monaco .
I`m now not sure what can be done by quick rotobrushing and what by time-consuming rotoscoping.
Before I let a freelancer work on this, I wanna be sure, that noone takes advantage of my lack of vfx-knowledge .

Here is the flying carpet-video with random shots :

Is it possible to combine the very 1. shot with this
Ocean Video ?

That the carpet seems to fly over the ocean towards the camera ?

These are the background shots-, is it feasible that
the flying carpet can be integrated in this port-landscape and looks realistic ?

Would really appreciate some help and advice--Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Will this look realistic ?
on Nov 1, 2015 at 6:51:43 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 1, 2015 at 7:05:04 pm

All of your background shots are time lapse footage. That in itself doesn't look "realistic," for the motion has been sped up significantly. Or do you want the flying carpet to appear like it was part of the time lapse? If so, it will fly by rapidly like the cars in the clips.

For realism, I'd say you first need regular speed, non-time lapse footage.

As for the rotoscoping, the less stuff there is in the background the better off you are. The shots with plain blue sky backgound are the easiest to extract the flying carpet from. The ones where the carpet is in front of land will have to be done much more manually and will take much longer. The last close-up shot with the hair flying around is probably the biggest challenge.

A third issue is that the flying carpet shots go in and out of focus, so either the backgrounds need to do the same at those spots or they need to be edited so that doesn't happen. Also, some of the carpet shots have to be tracked and stabilized, with this amount of rapid shake it is going to cause some frames to appear blurry. Which means that either this has to be cut so it doesn't happen -- or the backgrounds need to be "reverse tracked" so that the same camera shake happens in the whole shot, which is the more realistic-looking option.

Other than that, a VFX artist should be able to make the images look like they belong.

Return to posts index

Stefan Schmidt
on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:07:58 pm

Hi Kalle,

thanks a lot for your advice. The background speed will be adjusted . It`s really tough to find approbriate
background shots from different angles to make the whole clip more vivid. What do you mean my carpet shots need to be tracked and can I do this with Final Cut Pro x ?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 3, 2015 at 1:52:23 pm

Tracking means following the motion in order to either match the motion or to remove (stabilize) or smooth out the motion. When the camera is moving or shaking, you need to do one or the other (stabilize or make the other footage follow the same motion) to composite other footage with it.

I don't use FCP, but googling for it told me you can.

Return to posts index

Stefan Schmidt
on Nov 3, 2015 at 6:00:27 pm

Hey Kalle,

thanks again for this lecture ---what is your hour`s rate, in case I need a third party for this project ?
Would you have any recent works that I can look at ?

I used to play along time ago as a freelance piano -player on the Sylia-cruise-line between Helsinki and Stockholm.
So I have a couple of memories about Helsinki.

Cheers from
Stefan

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 4, 2015 at 10:34:13 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 4, 2015 at 10:45:41 am

Hi Stefan,

Hey that's great, freelance pianist on the Silja-line! Where do you reside nowadays? My wife's a jazz singer, always on the lookout for good pianists. :)

As Tero pointed out, you can't slow down time-lapse footage to look normal (well, you could, but you'd have to take one frame and reanimate everything that moves from scratch, which would be very challenging and time consuming. It's really the last method I'd use and only when there aren't any other options). So you'll definitely need footage that is normal speed to begin with.

I'm pretty fully booked at the moment, but you can find my contact information here if it turns out you need help with the project. Drop me a line if you want to and we can see if we make schedules meet:

http://www.mielikuvitus.org/english/contact.html

That's my graphic design website so doesn't really have any motion imaging samples, so here's a link to a product presentation animation I made recently:

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:44:10 pm

[Stefan Schmidt] "The background speed will be adjusted ."

You can't slow down timelapses to make normal footage. You're missing a lot of frames that happened between the interval that the camera shot the stills at.

Return to posts index

Stefan Schmidt
on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:57:16 pm

Tero,

thanks A LOT for this essential advice ---I was 100% sure that I just slow them down and everything is fine.
Thank God I still didn`t buy anything --where are you from by the way ?

Regards
Stefan

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 4, 2015 at 1:06:14 pm

[Stefan Schmidt] " --where are you from by the way ?"

Surprisingly: Helsinki, Finland.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 4, 2015 at 2:57:36 pm