ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

no ping pong?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemierno ping pong?
by on Oct 29, 2015 at 7:31:48 pm

Wasn't there a ping pong option in the preview before? Because all I'm getting is loop, and play once. Was it never there? Am I crazy?

I'm pretty sure it was there before, but I don't use it often in most software, so I can't remember if it was even there now. I might just be crazy.

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: no ping pong?
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 11:54:38 am

I can't find it either. Apparently, Adobe decided that we didn't need it anymore.

Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: no ping pong?
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 12:10:17 pm

"Loop: The Loop control is now remembered for each keyboard shortcut. Ping-Pong loop mode is no longer available."

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: no ping pong?
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 12:28:03 pm

Is anyone else quite unhappy with the direction this took? It seems like it's riddled with mistakes, and what's up with them removing features?

Well, at least I know I'm not just crazy (says the guy currently dressed as Monty Python's King Arthur). That's always nice.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: no ping pong?
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:32:54 pm

[Andy Engelkemier] "Is anyone else quite unhappy with the direction this took? It seems like it's riddled with mistakes, and what's up with them removing features?"

It's frustrating isn't it? However, I'm not unhappy with it because I understand what they're doing. CC 2015 doesn't have "removed" features as much as it has "features that haven't been implemented yet". CC 2015 is kinda like an alpha release as the After Effects team is in the middle of completely re-writing the core code of the software. And, yes, it's got quite a few bugs, but this is a much bigger change than when they went from 32-bit to 64-bit in CS5. They aren't adapting the code this time; they're remaking it so that AE can finally be an actually multithreaded software. There are actually fewer problems then I thought there would be, to be honest!

CC 2015 actually gets me very excited because it shows the AE team is focusing now on useful changes to the program in the areas of performance, productivity, and usability instead of trying to introduce whizz-bang features nobody uses (ray-traced renderer, I'm looking at you). Take, for example, the changes they've made to how expressions are handled. If you have 40 layers that all reference one layer and then accidentally delete that one layer, in the past that would have meant clicking "OK" on an error box for every single broken expression. That means that if you only had one property linked, you have to click through 40 errors. Heaven help you if you'd linked several properties! And pressing "undo" wouldn't fix them all either. If you did Undo, you'd have to go back through and re-enable every expression! Now, you simply get a warning banner at the bottom of the comp window and pressing undo fixes all of the expressions. SO MUCH TIME SAVED!

That being said, Adobe shouldn't have marketed CC 2015 as a normal upgrade to AE. It's really more of a beta, teaser kind of release. And they CERTAINLY shouldn't have made the Creative Cloud software automatically remove older versions! The AE team was against that plan and tried to warn people about it...

One thing the AE team did very well to help this transition time is that CC 2014 and CC 2015 can both use the same project files. So you can work with the snappier interface in CC 2015 and then jump back to CC 2014 for any features that are missing (like, for example, multiprocessing).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: no ping pong?
by on Oct 30, 2015 at 2:51:39 pm

I agree. I like the direction they are trying to take, but it shouldn't be released like a beta is all. keep beta features beta, and only release things that work really well.

I just don't understand why they don't add some other things that have been around in other software for a Long time, like automatic background preview caching. Hey, I walked away from my computer. Oh look, my entire sequence can be played back without having to render the audio before preview, and the section that's crazy slow due to an expression can actually be played. That's when I'll be happy with "preview".

So the direction? Sure, that's fine. But I feel like they are releasing things just to try and justify the extra price everyone is paying now for CC. Are most people Really that much faster from CS5/6 to now? Maybe a tiny bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved