ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding small firecrackers in post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will ChamberlinAdding small firecrackers in post
by on Oct 29, 2015 at 6:32:47 pm

I have a concept in my mind which I'd like some help to realise!

A music video, performer standing infront of black background playing guitar - high energy. As he does so explosions/fireworks/firecrackers are going off around him flashing bright lights.

If I add the fire in post, how will I simulate the changing lights on the video footage of his face? If I simply add the graphic layer above the video and set to 'overlay' will that do the same thing? I want it to look as if they are happening around him.

New to compositing in AE so any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Adding small firecrackers in post
by on Oct 29, 2015 at 6:58:46 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Oct 29, 2015 at 7:02:21 pm

If the firecrackers have a black background as well, you can use Add mode, that works better. For the lighting, a fairly simple solution would be to use a gradient radial ramp from white to mid grey in Overlay mode, at those points where the firecrackers light up, it would kind of give the appearance of lighting up the person. Overlay lightens up everything in a fairly natural fashion leaving full blacks black. (Note: don't make the edges of the overlay ramp black, otherwise they will darken things in Overlay mode. Mid grey won't change the appearance of anything outside the radius of the radial ramp)

To make things easier, you will want to animate a bunch of the fire crackers with their respective glows, then duplicate that around several times. That would obviate having to animate the glow separately each time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved