ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan PatersonBest Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:30:07 pm

Hello, recently switched from a Mac to a PC and without the use of ProRes now I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for rendering high-quality footage. Can someone recommend a codec that fits the specs in the title please? It seems AVI & Animation only support 8bpc, and I'm just plain unfamiliar with anything else really. Any resources regarding this topic are also welcome, wouldn't mind doing a little research.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:42:38 pm

Get your mitts on QT Pro for Win -- version 7.x. You'll have access to PNG & JPEG 2000.

There aren't any codecs with 16-bit color. Not even ProRes 4444.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan PatersonRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:59:21 pm

Really? So what's the output option in AE for "Trillions Of Colors"? I always assumed that was 16-bit?

And yes I am currently using the QuickTime PNG codec so I guess I'll stick with that

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:15:41 pm

I'm not sure if the Trillions of colors deal shows up in PNG. It's good in image sequences.

Like ProRes 422, PNG is a 10-bit codec. And it's lossless to boot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ryan PatersonRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:17:17 pm

Awesome, thanks. But just out of curiosity- in general what does the "trillions of colors" option represent?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:58:53 pm

I wish I could say. I've always wanted to use it myself. None of the codecs I use for delivery are capable of it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 2:03:30 pm

[Ryan Paterson] "But just out of curiosity- in general what does the "trillions of colors" option represent?"

"Trillions of colors" in this context means that the output module will pass a 16bpc RGBA image to the encoder. To output 10-bit ProRes or CineForm, for example, you'd need to render with Trillions of colors. Rendering with "millions of colors" would only provide 8-bit renders from the output module to the encoder.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best Codec For Exporting 16 or 32-bpc With An Alpha Channel on Windows
by on Nov 2, 2015 at 1:53:32 pm

[Ryan Paterson] "Hello, recently switched from a Mac to a PC and without the use of ProRes now I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for rendering high-quality footage. Can someone recommend a codec that fits the specs in the title please? It seems AVI & Animation only support 8bpc, and I'm just plain unfamiliar with anything else really. Any resources regarding this topic are also welcome, wouldn't mind doing a little research."

Creative Cloud includes support for CineForm, a cross-platform, high-quality mezzanine format comparable in quality and compression ratios to ProRes. CineForm supports 10-bit YUV and 12-bit RGBA.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]