ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to control a feather's 'falling'???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jenny weng
How to control a feather's 'falling'???
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:33:26 am

Hi guys,

So I'm doing project and I really need some help here because I don't know much about AE. So what I'm trying to do is can I control the feather(individual) its movement, because I'm wanting it to interact with the character's hand/finger. So can anybody teach me step by step? ><

2D image of a feather and maybe need to turn it into a 3D so i can control it 3 dimension, (eg:like what you do to a butterfly) but this is just one image of a feather do I need to break into parts (eg: like a butterfly breaking in parts body & wing) ? how can i control the feather (the whole feather) making it turn or wiggle or twist etc smoothly and gently???

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
Re: How to control a feather's 'falling'???
on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:12:47 am

With the image of a feather you can use the Puppet Tool, setting some Pin Point and move them (manually or with expressions) to deform the feather. But of course the feather will always be flat, 2D, facing the same direction.

Corrado

Return to posts index

jenny weng
on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:49:42 pm

yea i was thinking of the puppet tool too, so i cant do any twist or turns with the puppet tool? And does the image need to be in a psd format or can just be any image format?

Return to posts index

jenny weng
on Nov 2, 2015 at 11:52:11 pm

Hi, i tried using puppet tool which it gave 'live' to the 2d flat image, but i cant move the position freely it breaks the image. what can i do?any help?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:19:36 pm

FreeForm Pro would be a nice tool for this. You could use a 2d image of a feather with an alpha channel. Using FreeForm Pro you can displace slightly to give it volume and the distort in 3d to give it a overall curvature. Then you can animate in 3d using the plugin controls. To get fancy, use a real feather, shoot that over some contrasting clean background with some hand interaction, do a track of the feather and generate a Null that can then be used to link the 3d controls from FreeForm Pro to get a more natural movement.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

jenny weng
on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:54:41 pm

ohhh thank you for your suggestion, but i have zero knowledge to these >.< it would be fab if u could make a tutorial to teach me.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Oct 27, 2015 at 12:16:30 pm

I don't know about Free Form Pro, but with Puppet tool you need any image with Alpha channel, cause you need to distort the shape of the feather and not the background. Then you can twist it (not sure of the exact meaning of "twist" in english, maybe "bend" is more correct) but in a bi-dimensional way only.
Corrado

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 27, 2015 at 1:26:23 pm

Check out the mettle.com site for FreeForm Pro tutorials.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

jenny weng
on Nov 3, 2015 at 12:49:04 am

unfortunately i couldnt i find anything about it

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 27, 2015 at 1:47:49 pm

Here's a thread where some falling techniques were discussed and it includes a link to a falling paper/feather project I did that you might find handy.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]