ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

remove sticker on moving car

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Gergesremove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 3:46:46 pm

Hi... i've been asked to remove a sticker on the side of a car (see image).

The car is moving but the shot is static.

At the moment i'm using the stamp tool in AE (frame by frame) but it's a really slow process, and i was wondering if it's the best solution or if anyone maybe has a tip for me on how to speed up the process (or use a different technique?)...

i'm happy for any hint ;)

cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: remove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 4:32:16 pm

Ugh. That's no fun.

I think I would begin by leaving a hole where the blue letters are now. Building a procedural matte ought to do the trick. You can start by animating a mask around the letters and using Keylight to remove the blue. You might have to use a little Simple Choker in reverse to make the holes a bit bigger.

Then the REAL WORK begins -- trying to fill that hole seamlessly.

But at least you won't have to work frame-by-frame, which leaves you open to all sorts of little mistakes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: remove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:33:12 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:35:51 pm

Since the car is highly reflective and you can't really expect to notice exactly what it is reflecting I would attempt to stretch the above and below sections to cover the text. Meaning, take the two areas marked with orange here and stretch the top one downward and the bottom one upward, keeping the top and bottom edges in place respectively (so that the other edges end up where the blue lines are). It is not necessarily going to be easy, with the car moving and all, but that's how I would approach this.

Return to posts index

Steve GergesRe: remove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:05:31 am

Thanks Kalle that's actually a pretty good idea.... !!! A friend of mine came up with the idea of doing (at least) one clean plate of the car, then use mocha to track the letters and put the clean plate on top (animating the reflections with some kind of warp). Or doing 3 clean plates (one in the beginning, in the middle and the end) and try to morph them (some sort) into each other while tracking. But your solution might do the trick as well. Will try that out today !

Thanks again for the input.
Steve

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: remove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:29:59 am

Another option would be to completely fake the reflection, taking it from the environment. If you have a frame in the footage that the car has completely passed (or is small in frame), you could create a precomp where the environment is moving and distorting as if it is a reflection, then track it onto the car and color correct to match. Soft edged masks would help in integrating it. This is not likely to be easy either but I can't think of any easy fixes for this situation.

(Actually this is almost the same as what your friend suggested.)

Return to posts index

Steve GergesRe: remove sticker on moving car
by on Oct 22, 2015 at 9:38:18 am

Thanks that did the trick...and it even looks pretty convincing ;)

As u said. I took an empty frame (without car) tracked the letter in Mocha. imported the shape data to after FX. imported the emptyframe. added a polar coordinates and turbulent displace and some color correction to match the reflection oi the car.... and it works ;)

thy again for the tip.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]