ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make Shatter go "backwards" and/or "upwards"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Watkins
How to make Shatter go "backwards" and/or "upwards"
on Oct 18, 2015 at 1:23:12 am

The Shatter effect seems always to approach the "camera." I've tried tweaking its various and generous switches this way and that, for hours and hours, and haven't yet hit on a way to get the shatter pieces to move either backwards or upwards. I feel sure there's a simple trick. I just can't seem to find it for either variation. Does anyone know, or are these variants simply not possible with Shatter.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: How to make Shatter go "backwards" and/or "upwards"
on Oct 18, 2015 at 6:51:14 am

Using camera system "Camera Position", make the y-rotation 180 degrees. Use gravity direction of 0 degrees.

Return to posts index

Jeff Watkins
on Oct 18, 2015 at 2:31:02 pm

Thanks! This seems to flip the shape, which isn't a big deal as this is the back part of an exploding figure. And the fragments do rise, which will be essential in other situations I'm working on. What I'm after in this particular case is for them to fall like their front part does (which is on a different layer) while receding from the camera. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance for your kind patience with a relative novice.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 18, 2015 at 4:18:23 pm

Do you mean you want to have them fall as a mirror image of the forward shatter?

If you just want to rotate the back side, it is a simple matter of adding 180 to the y-rotation (of the front camera).

If you want a mirror image, you'll have to put something like 180 minus y-rotation (of front camera), and then you have to flip the backside (or frontside) image. Gets more complex if you have moved the camera off center, so better keep it in the center if possible.

...if I understand what you are trying to do correctly.

Return to posts index

Jeff Watkins
on Oct 18, 2015 at 5:17:01 pm

Yes, you grasp perfectly what I'm attempting. The shape is a simple cylinder. As it explodes, its back portion shards get smaller as they receed and its front portion shards get larger as they approach the camera. As the back portion has already begun to explode by the time the eye perceives its shards, it isn't important that it be a precise mirror of the front portion. Again, many thanks for the invaluable tips!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]