ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Spinning 2D Square with a different color on either side

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Ba
Spinning 2D Square with a different color on either side
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:03:35 pm

Hi all,
I have a composition composed of some spinning 2D objects creating a kind of train schedule flipper departure board effect. Is there a way to have the objects be one color on the front and a different color on the back? The objects are all layers created in illustrator.

Return to posts index

Kevin Ba
Re: Spinning 2D Square with a different color on either side
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:05:18 pm

To clarify, these are 2D objects that are brought in and set to 3D in AE to allow for the flipper board effect

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:53:45 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:54:21 pm

Sure!

Import your Illustrator document as a comp, and at layer size. Each flippy-thing has to be in its own individual Illustrator layer... a lot of Illustrator folks forget to do that: AE only knows about Illustrator layers.

Then find one of the flippy-layers in the project pane. Drag it onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the pane. If you made the Illustrator document correctly and imported it the right way, it will make a comp the exact size of the flippy layer. Then drag in another flippy layer.

In the timeline, make both layers 3D. Twirl down the position property. Set one layer to 1 in z-space and the other to -1 in z-space.

Nest it in another comp. Make it 3D. Now when you rotate it, there's one color on one side, and the other color on the other side.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 15, 2015 at 8:16:19 pm

for that nested flipping comp, you'll also want to enable collapse transformations (little spike ball/sun-like icon in the layer switches)

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Ba
on Oct 17, 2015 at 5:06:43 pm

Perfect! You guys are awesome.

Next step: repeating this for 150 individual squares so they are all blue on one side and various colors on the other. Is there a way of saving time on this or am I doomed to spend the rest of the day creating these comps?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 17, 2015 at 7:18:17 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Oct 17, 2015 at 7:22:43 pm

You can speed this up by dragging all layers at once to the Make New Comp icon and select Multiple Compositions in the dialog: they will all become individual comps. Then it is a matter of pasting the position and rotation data that you can copy from your first comp. And finally pasting the other side (blue) inside each comp. You could be done in 15 minutes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Ba
on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:46:16 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Ba on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:58:22 pm

Thanks guys!! layering them in pre-comps is working out.
I'm having an issue now with a bit of color overflow from one side. Each shape is a direct duplicate but when I'm on the uniform color side, I see the individual colors coming through the edges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]