ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Light Offstage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellen LeggettAfter Effects Light Offstage
by on Oct 10, 2015 at 5:33:18 am

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the use of light in After effects.
I am fairly new to AE and have certainly not utilized most of it's features.
I am experimenting with Trapcode particular along with stock footage to create a flame effect across the screen. As an added effect I added a cc light adjustment layer and pick-whipped the center to my null object to create a mild glow to my effect.

My problem is that when the center of the light moves off screen (My flame effect starts offscreen, moves across from left to right, then finishes offscreen) that the rays or radius of the light are no longer applied to the stage, resulting in a less then ideal clap on clap off effect when the center goes on and off stage.I have tried extending the adjustment layer beyond the stage, but that didn't help.

I am creating this effect for the purposes of reuse with footage in my HSC Major project, so I am after an effect which is adaptable to multiple situations, so an effect for the edge of the stage will not do, I need a long term solution.

So I was wondering if there was a way to make the radius of light act realistically when the center moves offstage, or if I could use another light effect to achieve a similar result.

PS. sorry for the long question.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects Light Offstage
by on Oct 10, 2015 at 6:53:10 am

Long questions full of details are great! It helps us better understand the issue.
My quick solution would be to create a comp wider than your final needs to be (2500x1080 instead of 1920x1080 for example). This way your Light will always be in the comp although in your final crop it will go outside the frame.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ellen LeggettRe: After Effects Light Offstage
by on Oct 10, 2015 at 10:50:59 pm

Thanks so much for the fast reply!
That's a great idea, not overly complicated and it should work for pretty much anything I want to do with the effect. :)
Thanks Heaps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved