ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need some suggestions for cartoony snow effects.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossNeed some suggestions for cartoony snow effects.
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 9:29:51 pm

Hey, everybody.

I need some help coming up with ideas for snow effects for a video I'm working on.

The video is this: paper cutout woodland creatures skiing with varying skill. There's a bunny, who's real good, a Moose, who think's he's real good at cross country type skiing, and a bear who's terrible at snowboarding.

I need to create a trailing snow effect for the bunny's skis, a bit of a splash snow effect for while he's turning, and then I want to have sort of an impact snow effect for when my bear falls over.

I figure my choices are stock AE plugins (like Particle World), an upgrade to Particular (which I may be able to swing), or buying some keyable stock footage effects.

I think some kind of impact footage would work OK for the bear falling over, but I'm limited to whatever I can find, and usually m-80s in a bag of flour...

I have some basic skill with Particle world, but only with very basic sort of sparks and confetti and stuff.

My comp is set up as a camera traveling sideways along a 3D environment I've set up, with my characters animated in precomps.

What do you guys think? I can make OK snow with particle world, but I'm not sure how to stick the emitter to the bunny's skis and have the particles react properly. If anybody knows of some good tutorials, or if you know of some great preset in Particluar than I'm sold.

Or does anyone know of some great snow footage?

Thanks in advance, all.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Need some suggestions for cartoony snow effects.
by on Oct 9, 2015 at 8:32:20 pm

With Particular you can use a light as an emitter and then keyframe or parent the light to follow the skis. The Bounce and Floor options could also be handy for the snow settling behind the skis.

In Particle World you can parent the producer position to a Null Object and the particles will emit from the Null's location, but you need to use a expression for it because Particle World calculates position differently than the Null Object. Andrew Kramer did a tutorial on it. Just skip towards the middle where he is setting up his particles.

For the snow impact, you could try some sort of dust or smoke puff stock footage and color correct it to look like snow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved