ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Non-continuous trim path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henrik HolteNon-continuous trim path
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 9:06:54 pm

I'm using shape layers with trim paths to achieve a drawing-on effect, with the drawing appearing over time, as if being drawn f ex on a blackboard. My question is: Can I somehow get to continue drawing from a vertex that is not my last vertex (or do something that achieves the same thing)?

Say you make a figure of ten vertices, 1-10, then, after getting to vertex 10, you want the trim path motion to continue not from the last vertex (10), but f ex from vertex no 3 (which is far away from vertex 10). So vertex 11 will start not from vertex 10, but from vertex 3. After that, maybe you want to jump back to vertex 10 and continue drawing from there. Is that possible (without having to draw your way back from vertex 10 to vertex 3, and then back again to vertex 10)? Or is it possible to draw your way back to vertex 3, then "hide" the specific lines you drew to get back, so that they don't appear?

Of course this can be solved by just making a new shape layer whenever you don't want to continue drawing from your last vertex, but then I'll get lots of layers and will have to adjust the trim path keyframes a lot between the layers to get a continuous motion. It'd be much easier if I could work out the whole figure in the same layer.

I'm newly self-taught, so there may be something simple I'm overlooking, or perhaps the logical way to do this is something completely different. Hope the explanation is understandable, I'm working to get a handle on the terminology. :-)

Thanks to anyone with input!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Non-continuous trim path
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 10:33:20 pm

you can have many lines in one shape layer, then use trim paths on the shape layer as a whole. if you set the 'trim multiple shapes' to 'individual' it will draw each one sequentially.

you can change the order that they draw-on by changing the stack order of the paths/shapes within the shape layer's contents.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved