ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1 composition with many layers, but the camera only works in one of the layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pamela Arena
1 composition with many layers, but the camera only works in one of the layers
on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:34:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a composition with many layers. Besides I have the handwritting effect (a hand writes the text of the layers) in most of the layers. So basically I have two big isssues I haven't been able to solve:

1) When I use a camera effect, the effect of the hand writting doesn't look good (it looks like is writing but intermittently and not on time at all).

2) When I use the camara for the first layer, except for the handwritting effect, it does what I want. But when I want to change the effect for the following layer, it changes the first effect in the first layer. I tried to use 2 cameras to avoid that, but when it didn't work either.

I'm super frustated since I was new at After Effects but I could learn many things and created all the layers and handwritting effects for my video, but now that I'm trying to do the last thing to finish it which is to make it look like a real video I haven't been able!!!

Please someone help me!

Pamela

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 1 composition with many layers, but the camera only works in one of the layers
on Oct 7, 2015 at 10:07:02 pm

I think you may be mixing 2D and 3D layers. If there is a 2D layer among your 3D layers, it will mess things up.

The fix: make them all 3D layers. You may have to readjust things in the former 2D layers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pamela Arena
Re: 1 composition with many layers, but the camera only works in one of the layers
on Oct 19, 2015 at 2:54:39 pm

Thanks Dave.

I'm still having the same problem with all my layers in 3D, so I was waiting to have another computer to render the video again with a better video card (that's why it took so long for me to answer. I apologize), since I thought that might be the reason why I'm seing like this my handwritting when I introduce Camera effect:

Even though I rendered it with a better video card and I have all layers in 3D, I still have the same problem. When I don't use any camera effect this is how I see the board:

Regarding the issue with changing camera effect in each of the layers, I´m still having trouble with that. When I use the camara for the first layer it does what I want. But when I want to change the effect for the following layer, it also changes the first effect in the first layer. I tried to use 2 cameras to avoid that, but it didn't work either.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:41:02 pm

What do you mean with "introduce camera effect" ? Do you mean going to "Layer -> New -> Camera" ?

Also what version of AE are you using? Have you checked if you're not using the now obsolete raytrace engine of AE cs6?

Return to posts index

Pamela Arena
on Oct 22, 2015 at 12:56:15 am

Hi Cassius Marques

Yes, I mean going to "Layer -> New -> Camera"

I'm using AE CC 2015 version 13.5.0.347

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 20, 2015 at 5:52:06 pm

[Pamela Arena] "Even though I rendered it with a better video card and I have all layers in 3D, I still have the same problem. When I don't use any camera effect this is how I see the board: "

Ae does not normally use the GPU to render. The only exceptions are a few GPU-accelerated third-party plugins, Ae's Cartoon filter, and Ae's ray-tracing renderer.

You probably want to position the writing slightly in front of the chalkboard. Two objects existing in the same space at the same time can give bizarre intersections like you're seeing. Bring it forward in Z-space one or two pixels and see if that clears up your render.

[Pamela Arena] "Regarding the issue with changing camera effect in each of the layers, I´m still having trouble with that. When I use the camara for the first layer it does what I want. But when I want to change the effect for the following layer, it also changes the first effect in the first layer. I tried to use 2 cameras to avoid that, but it didn't work either. "

You can keyframe the position/point of interest of the camera just like any other property in Ae. If you have not clicked the stopwatch for these properties to enable keyframes, you're setting the property globally for the entire layer.

A lot of folks like to create a 3D null, then make the camera a child of the null, then animate the null to control the camera -- that's sometimes more intuitive than keyframing direct camera manipulation.

When you have multiple camera layers active at the same time, the top one renders. You can cut from camera to camera trimming the lengths of the camera layers in the timeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]