ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adobe backpedals on Metal commitment

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad BusséAdobe backpedals on Metal commitment
by on Oct 6, 2015 at 1:09:48 am

Adobe, I was really glad last year when you put up a poll for Ae users to give feedback on whether we wanted you to focus on massive speed improvements over the next year, or stick with features. I was also glad that the overwhelming response from the community was for speed improvement.

Fast forward a year, and I'm disappointed that multi-processing rendering is still disabled on CC 2015. However, I was really excited to see the WWDC demos of Metal optimized Ae and Ai. Now I read this article, and I'm once again disappointed:

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Adobe backpedals on Metal commitment
by on Oct 6, 2015 at 2:26:21 pm

It's not that multiprocessing is disabled in CC 2015, it's that it's simply not present. They are rewriting the core of AE to replace that very feature and haven't finished the work yet.

However, you can take hope from the progress that has been made. In CC 2015, you'll note that rendering and the UI are now running on separate threads. This is HUGE! And, importantly, it is laying the groundwork for a properly multithreaded After Effects. The speed at which the change is happening is a bit too slow for me, but that's probably because Adobe doesn't put many resources towards the After Effects team anyway. Have you seen how tiny the team is? This picture [link] from the After Effects World Conference in 2014 shows nearly the entire team, including software engineering, quality engineering, marketing, UI design, and product management!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adobe backpedals on Metal commitment
by on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:30:52 pm

Well, it's not QUITE as small as you might think, Michael. I got called out on it on the Adobe web site.

Apparently there's also a "new features development" team, too. They're the folks who created the Warp Stabilizer, Rotobrush, etc. while that handful of folks pictured above work on the Archaic Code Issues.

Personally, I wish Adobe would put that development team on hiatus and bring those folks on board to fix AE's fundamental issues. Right now that newest version pretty much stinks, and "be patient" is a crummy response to claims that it stinks up the joint.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved