ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Affter Effects Crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ht DavisAffter Effects Crashes
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:50:26 pm

So, I've seen a lot of people with the crash in AE from linking with Premiere, especially in cs6, but also in CC2014 all the way to the latest version, and most especially with mac. I've found a few things that may be helpful.
I recently had it crash with a bad BDMV file, but upon replacing it with a good one, the transfer worked. However, the BDMV had to be conformed again... ...bummer, but didn't take long. I've had the crash when using file types with long gop settings. Stick with edit style files in your premiere project when you actually dump it into AE, or unlink them completely, then link to your edit files in AE and relink your main files in Premiere. For some reason, the two programs cannot transfer the metafiles, or the basic caching layout, between them properly, and after effects uses fuller datasets with better quality, accuracy and useability than it does with compressed files; premiere uses only playback engines, which decompress the data on the fly, but AE uses render engines that CAN decompress, but process the data more and adjust it intensively. Bottom line, the more IBN frames and other data AE doesn't have to deal with, the more compatible and useable it is. And remember that you should try to stick with system based file formats (AVI for windows, MOV for mac). Even though Premiere can handle prores on windows now, it cannot edit it useably. You are better off recoding the video with FFMPEG's version of prores and using that. The Long GOP is probably the culprit, and FFMPEG does away with that, while keeping the rest of the format true. DNxHD is a good cross platform coding, but you'll have to install it on your own in older CS6\5. AE loves it, but premiere... ...gets a little choppy if you have lower system specs like me. Like I said, unlink, dynamic link, relink. Probably the best way. I like to use h.264 for playback in premiere, and an edit format for AE, but don't always have time for multiple recodes. "Try to build that into your workflow" I keep telling myself... ...I never answer back of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved