ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil HiltonChroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:11:26 am
Last Edited By Neil Hilton on Oct 5, 2015 at 5:24:08 pm

Hey guys.

I'm trying to use Keylight in After Effects to pull a key from some footage I shot.
I highly under-estimated the difficulty of pulling a good key.

I don't feel like the green screen is that poorly lit, but I'm guessing it is or I wouldn't think I'd be having the problems I'm having.

I used a technique I saw in a tutorial video that has you use the Selective Color effect in AE to make the green screen far more green before keying, but despite delivering on the promise of a far more green green-screen, it didn't seem to help the key.

Below I have attached a screenshot from the original shot and a cropped screenshot of the problem I'm encountering... I can't get rid of much more of the white/gray edges without losing chunks of hair.

Obviously, it looks fantastic on a white background
It even looks pretty good on any color except black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Neil HiltonRe: Chroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 9:46:44 am

I'm new to this forum.
I just noticed that my links in my original post are not clickable and I don't see anyway to edit my post :-/

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Chroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 2:31:13 pm

There is a button to upload images right above the box where you type your post. Maybe try that. ;)

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Chroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 4:04:52 pm

If the camera the footage was shot with is such that it automatically sharpens the image, this problem will occur. You will likely have to key the hair separate from the other (sharper) outlines. The outlines likely need a choke to get rid of the extra edge, wherein the hair doesn't need such. In other words, two different mattes combined together in a precomp, and the result used as track matte.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 5:25:01 pm

Thank you for all the responses thus far.
I finally got the images uploaded and working properly in the original post :)

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Chroma Key Problems - White / Grey Edges
by on Oct 5, 2015 at 8:09:23 pm

Yes, there is definitely a problem with the original footage in that it accentuates the edges, making keying harder. If you are going to use a black background, I would just compromise and lose the hair details, darken the shadows in the people to make them look like they belong and be done with it. There may be ways to save the hair details with complex multiple matte generation, but whether it is worth the trouble is questionnable.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2015 at 11:17:49 pm

Thank you very much for the input =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]