Export slows down after a while

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Albert Kowalski
Export slows down after a while
on Oct 3, 2015 at 4:45:17 am
Last Edited By Albert Kowalski on Oct 3, 2015 at 4:48:45 am

Hi guys!

I have a real problem with my project. It it a Premiere Pro composition with several dynamic links. Project has a lot of keylight's, noise reducing and different effects. A lot of layers on top of each other. But that is not a problem in the beginning... when I export my project in Premiere Pro it starts very well, frames are encoded pretty fast. But after 30 minutes it starts to slow down to the moment it gets reeeealy slow. It won't speed up until I restart the program (not the whole PC). It doesn't matter where I start my export (from the beginning, in the middle, at the end). The story is always the same. First 30 minutes really fast, then slows down. I tried directly from Premiere Pro, I tried with Media Encoder. Pausing the export doesn't help. Stopping the export and running it again doesn't help. I need to physically restart the program, which doesn't make any sense since I would need to sit in front of my PC the whole time. I really don't know what is going on. The RAM is not getting filled, the CPU load looks fine. The rest of the system works OK. The other strange thing is my export does not occupy my GPU at all (the usage is 0%) and I have a GPU that is CUDA supported in Premiere Pro.

This is my setup:
Intel I-3930K 3.2 Ghz
RAM 32 GB
GPU GTX 580
System Drive (2xSSD RAID 0)
Project Drive (2xHDD RAID 0)
Cache Drive (1xSSD)
Export Drive (1xHDD)
Windows 7 64

What may be the problem? Where should I look?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Export slows down after a while
on Oct 3, 2015 at 9:12:44 am

[Albert Kowalski] "It it a Premiere Pro composition with several dynamic links. Project has a lot of keylight's, noise reducing and different effects. A lot of layers on top of each other. But that is not a problem in the beginning... when I export my project in Premiere Pro it starts very well, frames are encoded pretty fast. But after 30 minutes it starts to slow down to the moment it gets reeeealy slow. It won't speed up until I restart the program (not the whole PC). "

I'd suggest you try Premiere's new Render and replace feature [link].

[Albert Kowalski] "The other strange thing is my export does not occupy my GPU at all (the usage is 0%) and I have a GPU that is CUDA supported in Premiere Pro. "

Premiere Pro > File > Project Settings
If your renderer is set to Software Only, Pr will not use the GPU.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Albert Kowalski
on Oct 3, 2015 at 9:40:33 am

Unfortunately there is no Render and Replace in CS6 :(

And of course I use GPU acceleration in preferences. That doesn't change anything.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 3, 2015 at 10:00:46 am

[Albert Kowalski] "Unfortunately there is no Render and Replace in CS6 :("

Yeah, that's new in CC 2014.

In Ae CS6 (and many versions prior), you can render via the render queue and in your output module settings, check "Include project link." Import the media into Pr, and replace the dynamically-linked comp. If you need to make changes, you can right-click the movie clip in Pr's project panel and choose "Edit original." This will open up the AEP that rendered the movie in Ae.

(I am trying to help you separate the Ae portion of the project from the Pr portion to try to improve your performance. I don't love dynamic link in cases like this because it always renders without multiprocessing.)

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Albert Kowalski
on Oct 3, 2015 at 10:08:12 am

Not the best way, but I understand that is one option. But how can I investigate what causes the problem?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 3, 2015 at 10:15:24 am

[Albert Kowalski] "Not the best way, but I understand that is one option. But how can I investigate what causes the problem?"

That's what I'm suggesting you do. Troubleshooting is about stripping the variables in a system, then methodically adding them back in. The problem could be with Ae, dynamic link, or Pr. This should help determine where in that chain the issue is.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Albert Kowalski
on Oct 6, 2015 at 1:45:50 pm

I think I found a solution. It looks like After Effects which is working in the background causes the problems. I tried to kill the AfterFX.exe process in Task Manager to see what happens. I did it when I noticed my export started to be very slow. AE occupied around 7 GB of RAM. After the kill, AE restarts itself (or Media Composer does that) and it slowly gains the previous RAM. What is great, the export stops just for few seconds, waiting for AE to return to it previous state. But fortunately after this action, render speeds up. I just need to restart AE every hour to make sure it doesn't stuck. So I created a simple batch file:

@echo off
taskkill /f /im AfterFX.exe
:exit

saved it as KillAE.bat and set the Task to run the file every hour. Thanks to that it is fully automated and the export works like a charm :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]