ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam RappoldBrining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:27:36 pm

I used Photoshop to extrude a 2D element into a 3D element for a basic animation I'm trying to do in After Effects. However, I can't seem to find a way of saving or exporting the Photoshop element in a way that AE will recognize a 3D element.

I've read some tutorials that say that I should just be able to work with the psd in AE, if it has been saved with maximum compatibility and no background layer. But these tutorials also say that when bringing the psd into After Effects, I should see a dialog box with an option called "Live Photoshop 3D", and I don't see that option when I import to After Effects. I am missing a plugin or something that enables After Effects to work with these kind of files, created in Photoshop?

-Sam Rappold

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 4:24:36 pm

Live Photoshop 3D doesn't exist in current versions of After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 4:37:29 pm

The only way I've had any luck with 3D from Photoshop to AE is by saving the model out of Photoshop as a format which Element 3D will read (I believe I used .obj - it's also possible that I had to bring it into 3DS Max to get it to a .obj file). But I was able to get it to work - but you would have to at least own Element 3D.

I'm using the CS6 version of Photoshop, so your results may vary, but it will definitely save (using the Export 3D Layer command) out a .obj file. Then it goes in to Element 3D in AE. Since you don't say what version you're using, I'm just guessing at what will work for you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Sam RappoldRe: Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 2:27:41 pm

Thank you for the advice Mr. Bourke. I had tried saving from Photoshop as an .obj and found that After Effects was unable to read it, but I also was not aware of Element 3D before reading your post. I will look into Element 3D and decide if my current situations justifies obtaining it. Thanks again.

-Sam Rappold

-Sam Rappold

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 5:23:07 pm

Thank you Sam -

I think that if you do any amount of flying 3D title work, or other projects which don't require much modeling, that Element 3D will pay for itself quickly. There are several pre-built libraries which you can buy from Video Copilot, and the lighting and texturing capabilities give you very nice looking 3D very quickly.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Brining a 3D Element Created in Photoshop into After Effects (CC)
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 5:34:23 pm

If you don't have Element, you could use Cinema 4D Lite that comes with After Effects to import your OBJ.
Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/details-of-cinema-4d-integratio...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]