ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark almeida3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 9:11:08 am

Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if im wrong.
I've been working with AE for a while and i've done some 2d work with LED walls, but never gone for projection on a constructed 3d set. in this video

, at about 1:40 , everything looks like it has a 3d effect to it. like shadows and also the pieces shuffling. I couldn't find a way to add extrusion to layers in AE so i considered getting Cinema 4d.

In cinema 4d, it looks like you work in a 3d space and it's basically your playground to create what you visualized.
however, I have no clue on how the basics work . The main concern i have is , If i have a 3d structure, say a normal rectangle building with some pillars placed in front , and i want to project on these pieces, Do i need to construct this structure in Cinema 4d and then apply my visuals onto the pieces? If yes then how do i get the correct camera angle and stuff because it has to match the angle when im actually projecting the video i created.

Sorry for the really long post. I just cant seem to find a tutorial explaining the basics in depth. PS: i use AE , just got C4d , and resolume arena to output.

Any link or anything related to my question is highly appreciated.
thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:53:43 pm

[mark almeida] "Do i need to construct this structure in Cinema 4d and then apply my visuals onto the pieces? If yes then how do i get the correct camera angle and stuff because it has to match the angle when im actually projecting the video i created. "

You've got the gist of it. This does require prep work -- rendering from the projector's POV will be helpful, but don't forget that you can warp in the server, too. Do you have an experienced projectionist and media server programmer on board to help out?

If you're trying to do a lot of this yourself, I'd highly advise you buy a projector, even a small one, set up a few objects, and spend a week experimenting, both on the tech and the design sides. You'll learn so much more than just watching tutorials.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

mark almeidaRe: 3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:05:34 pm

Thank you so much for the response.
I own a projector too, i'm going to go ahead with what you suggested and experiment around and see what happens. Seems like a better way to actually get into it. thanks again!

Return to posts index

mark almeidaRe: 3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:06:24 pm

sorry for the double post. but can AE achieve 3d effects like the video? or is that a job solely for 3d applications

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 10:25:14 am

[mark almeida] "can AE achieve 3d effects like the video? or is that a job solely for 3d applications"

It's a job that's much, much easier in 3D applications.

You can get some dimension from Ae's 2.5 "Classic 3D" environment, but building geometry ranges from hard to impossible, and the shadows are mapped only.

Ae's 3D ray-tracing renderer allows you bend or extrude vectors/shapes/text in 3D space, but otherwise the geometry limitations and workflow are challenging.

Ae's third-party ecosystem gives you 3D options like VCP Element and Mettle ShapeShifter, but Ae still has no true 3D space to integrate them and managing what controls are in the effect and what are in the comp can be frustrating.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: 3d projection mapping (AE + Cinema 4d)
by on Oct 2, 2015 at 11:43:20 am

Thanks for the shout out Walter :-)

FreeForm Pro is excellent for projection mapping. A slew of Ae plugins were used on top of FreeForm Pro for the following piece (see link below).
http://www.mettle.com/church-glows-blooms-and-grooves-freeform-pro/

Details in the blog post.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]