ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

% RAM usage when rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Grogan% RAM usage when rendering
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 8:33:36 am

Hi all,

Something has been really bugging me for months now, and I keep meaning to ask but never got around to it.

The problem is that when I try to render a scene in AE (using the render queue, not the Media thing), the % RAM useage always seems to start off really low. Usually around 28%. Sometimes (like today) 8%. Now, if I leave it, then it slowly creeps up during the render process (very slowly). The scene I am rendering right now has been at it for 45 mins and it is now at 73%.

Now, I have no other CC apps running, so it cant be that. The max it gets to is about 81%. I have a 64-bit PC with 32Gb of RAM, and my memory management setting are all ok.

Like I said, it can get up to 80%, but it often starts a lot lower.

This morning was from a fresh boot before I loaded any other CC apps.

Anyone experienced this? any ideas?

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: % RAM usage when rendering
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:31:56 am

As a follow-up, in case this helps. I've just set another scene going, and it was straight to 81%. That isn't to say the problem is fixed - it does this every time, and it's been doing it for months.

If I load up Premiere Pro and do a bit in that, then even if I close it again, the next time I render in AE, it starts back at 26%

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: % RAM usage when rendering
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:27:57 pm

[Paul Grogan] "The problem is that when I try to render a scene in AE (using the render queue, not the Media thing), the % RAM useage always seems to start off really low. Usually around 28%. Sometimes (like today) 8%. Now, if I leave it, then it slowly creeps up during the render process (very slowly). The scene I am rendering right now has been at it for 45 mins and it is now at 73%."

RAM usage often starts low when little is cached, but will climb as the render progresses and the caches fills. This is normal.

You really care about render speed, not RAM usage, right? Do you feel your renders are too slow? What are your system specs, what kinds of work are you doing, and how are your render times?

[Paul Grogan] "I have a 64-bit PC with 32Gb of RAM, and my memory management setting are all ok."

What are they?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: % RAM usage when rendering
by on Oct 1, 2015 at 3:14:38 pm

Render speeds are ok considering the amount of 3d, layers and effects, motion blue, camera depth etc. I was just concerned by the % ram use, but if you say that is ok, then we're all good.

The follow-up question is if I run Premiere Pro at the same time, AE only ever uses 25%. CC seems to give most of the RAM to premiere pro, and I cant find any way of switching that focus so it uses more on AE. Basically now I close everything else down when using AE which can be a bit of a pain.

i7 processor 64-bit PC. 32Gb Ram.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]