ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris RostMoving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:34:11 pm

Obviously I am really new to After Effects and I did try googling this question. I read Adobe's pre-comp doc and I still cannot find my answer. Macbook OS 10.10.5 After Effects 2015 0.1

I was tasked to make a simple (HA!) animation... 30 sec.
Today"they"added a simple voice over audio... which is now 40 seconds long and rearrange things I had already completed. I had half the scenes (375:750 frames) roughed out and pre-comped into groups to manage the files...

Please tell me how to re-assign, on the timeline and move around, the clever pre-comps and sync itl to the audio.

I imported the audio into the project staging area and copied it to the composition and it plays nicely with the 1st draft which now is too short. I added time by changing the composition settings... on each pre comp? right?

Then when I moved the beginning pre-comp cleverness to the end of the timeline (by opening the pre-comp "folder" and selecting all the layers and dragging them to the end) the goodies did not show up where I want it. undo undo undo

Can you please tell me, or supply links to specifically address this: rearrange finished pre-comps on the timeline, sync with the voice-over and finish this up by Friday? world peace?

Do I need to start over and import everything individually _no pre-compness_, into a new composition?
Or is there some master magic that can be done to work with what I have.

A link to ideal file management for After Effects projects would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Moving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:53:10 am

[Kris Rost] "I added time by changing the composition settings... on each pre comp? right?"

Right. Then you have to ensure that anything inside the precomp is also extended the entire length of the precomp.

Are you trying to simply add more frames to fill in the extra time OR are you time remapping something?

Return to posts index

Kris RostRe: Moving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:21:07 pm

Had to look up time-mapping. I don't think so. I don't want to stretch, slow, or reverse.

I want to cut frames 5-125 and match them with the (new) audio element at frames 850-975.

Cut and paste already pre-comped sequences to sync with the speech in the audio...
Version 1.0's sequence "growing your business" cut out from their point on the time line and matched up with the audio where the voice is now talking talking about "growing your business" which is much later in the video, version 2.0.

Grow your business sequence plays as the voice is talking about growing your business. Likewise another sequence...jelly bean mountain cut and pasted to sync with the audio. Clever stuff all playing nicely together.

Hard to describe this stuff.
I thank you for replying...and pointing me to time mapping...I will use that somewhere else.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Moving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:36:33 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:38:01 pm

I actually have hard time visualizing why this would be difficult. How many precomps do you have? Can you send a screen grab of what your timeline looks like? What is in the precomps: Footage? 3D text? Plug-in Effects like Element 3D or Particular?

You should be able to just drag the precomps around and put them where you want, and if there is a comp that is too long, you can easily shorten it. If there is one that is too short, you'll have to increase the length of the precomp and any layers inside it. In theory it shouldn't be more complex than that, so there must be something I can't envision that you are having trouble with. Do you have to be frame-perfect with timing? Lip-sync? What is the actual step where it seems to take a lot of time? Finding the exact spot where to put the comp? Something else?

Return to posts index

Kris RostRe: Moving pre-comps around in a timeline with a duration change.
by on Dec 2, 2015 at 10:18:17 pm

Thank you...belated. I did get the hang of it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]