ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smooth frame by frame animation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Torrence
Smooth frame by frame animation?
on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:56:56 pm

Is there a way to get my frame by frame animations to move smoother? For example, I am working with an animation where i've imported 6 different frames from illustrator, and am changing the opacity from 0 to 100 through each frame and it works fine, but looks just a little choppy. any suggestions would be welcome!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Smooth frame by frame animation?
on Sep 28, 2015 at 6:50:25 pm

To put it simply, smoother animation is a function of smaller changes between frames and a higher frame rate. If the opacity change appears choppy you need it to take place over more frames at a higher rate, otherwise each change in opacity is a larger step and is visible longer, and thus is more noticeable to the viewer. If you are simply making a slide show of 6 different images at a normal frame rate of 30fps, a one second fade in and out should look fine. If it is something else that you are trying to do I would need some more details in order to understand it.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Evan Torrence
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:02:58 pm

Makes sense. Is this essentially the best way to do this kind of animation in After Effects or is there a more practical, efficient way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:21:28 pm

It would be EXTREMELY helpful to know precisely what you're trying to accomplish.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Torrence
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:38:41 pm

Sure, this is what i'm working with:

http://movingunits.com/racket.html

Current frame rate is 29.97.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:21:37 pm

From the video you provided I can see that I did not understand your initial question, though the advice still applies. If your intent is to make a simple gif sequence, for example, it looks fine. With a limited number of frames there is nothing you can do to smooth it out, and for certain looks you wouldn't really want to. If your intent is to have completely smooth motion though, you will again need more frames, which in your case means more illustrator images. The more "tweens" (in between frames) you have, the smoother the animation.

Return to posts index

Evan Torrence
on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:23:38 pm

Thats more or less what I thought, thanks and sorry for not providing a more adequate description of my question!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:15:13 am

Although that looks like I would expect an animation to look like and wouldn't necessarily do anything with it, if you still want to try and make it appear smoother, you could try the Pixel Motion Blur Effect:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/aftereffects-pixel-motion-blur...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:07:10 am

A lot of 2D animation like this is really 3D animation with cel or toon shading.

The downside is that you have to work in 3D, but the upside is that you get smooth, perspective-aware tweening for free.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]