ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Image quality issues when scaling with a null

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Gorecki
Image quality issues when scaling with a null
on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:31:58 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm relatively new to AE, apologies if I use the wrong terminology!

I have a 15 sec comp (960 x 672) that looks great when I render it. Great. The problem is, I need to make a 288 x 288px version. My method for scaling everything down proportionally is to create a null layer, and parent all the other layers in the comp to it, then resize the null. This is working for the most part, except that my render doesn't look very crisp. I've got text that looks a bit blurry. I've tried turning on/off the settings for the null layer: motion blur, 3D, quality & sampling etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for making my images / text look more crisp, please let me know :)

Thanks,

Joe

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Image quality issues when scaling with a null
on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:32:25 pm

I would guess the softness is coming from the low resolution. Another way to scale down your comp is to precompose your layers and put the precomp in a 288x288 composition, but it will most likely just give you the same results.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Image quality issues when scaling with a null
on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:43:08 pm

I'm with Daniel -- nest the original comp in a comp in the new dimensions and scale to taste.

Since the aspect ratios of the two comps are different, you may have to animate position & scale to keep the important stuff in the original comp visible in the new comp.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]