ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composite multiple people inside a car

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will ChamberlinComposite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:51:25 am

I normally try to avoid 'how do I do this' posts but am a little stuck.

I am working on a concept for a video which involves a single shot inside a car with the same actor sitting in each seat singing a song. I'd like the shot to be a handheld feel and panning/moving. I have knowledge of after effects. Is this even remotely possible?

If anyone has seen this done before or has any idea how to get me started to see if this is possible I'd appreciate some guidance!

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Composite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:37:03 pm

How much camera movement are we talking about? Just a little handheld wobble or actually panning to different parts of the car?

Return to posts index

Will ChamberlinRe: Composite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:02:42 pm

I am seeing the shot panning right round, from above the centre console of the car? So moving L>R from the drivers seat to the back seats and to the passenger seat in the front... Or is this a pipe dream?

Maybe if it's possible I could use a tripod in the centre of the car and add a wobble later?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Composite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:54:10 pm

I would NOT introduce wobble into these shots as you're shooting. Keep 'em rock steady. And shoot indoors where you can control the lighting. You'll need to put a new background into the windows, anyway. You'll need to plan how you're going to do that, what that background will be, and how you'll isolate the background to insert the new one.

You're going to have a tough enough time during the shoot panning the camera at the right times in the song and at the right speeds. I'd run a lot of tests before I shot it for real. I'd want to have camera placement figured out. I'd want to have the timings down. I'd want to know I could remove the background. I'd want to have the background in hand. I'd want to know it's going to work before I committed to doing it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Will ChamberlinRe: Composite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:04:09 pm

Thanks Dave for your advice!

I've been thinking further, and perhaps a motorised slider/panning head would help if we synced it up to the song - that way every take the movement of the camera is the same?

Do you have any experience with lighting a car to simulate movement? If i'm shooting at night I imagine recreating the street lights and other environmental objects could be a challenge!

Or do I just make a 360 degree rig and do it like that? ;)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Composite multiple people inside a car
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 4:32:42 pm

[Will Chamberlin]: I've been thinking further, and perhaps a motorised slider/panning head would help if we synced it up to the song - that way every take the movement of the camera is the same?

Indeed! In fact, you should do that when you shoot the background that eventually will go in the car windows.

[Will Chamberlin]: Do you have any experience with lighting a car to simulate movement? If i'm shooting at night I imagine recreating the street lights and other environmental objects could be a challenge!

Indeed again! This is NOT an easy shot you’re proposing. And it’s sort of a chicken-egg deal, too. If you shoot the car interiors first, and THEN shoot the street backgrounds only to discover that lighting will play a big role in selling the shot, do you re-shoot the interiors to add practical lighting effects? Or do you fake them? And would you know when to fake or go practical?
But if you shoot the exterior first, how will you know it syncs up with the interiors you're yet to shoot? What if you have to change a camera motion as you shoot interiors?

Chicken-egg. I'd be tempted to to mandate that is is a daylight effects shot. Fewer hassles.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]