ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving triangle atmosphere?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico TeetzMoving triangle atmosphere?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 12:12:03 pm

Hi,

just saw a music video that had this atmosphere based on moving triangles in it. I was wondering if someone could tell me what this effect is called and/or how to achieve it with AE. The camera movement is clearly Sure Target but the atmosphere is what I don't know how to create. I know Plexus can create these triangles, but that doesn't help me in creating an atmosphere like that. Still no idea how it's done.

Here's the video:

And here's a screenshot in case you can't view the video because of region-blocking or something:
http://i.imgur.com/bCQzyOh.jpg

Thanks
- Nico

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Moving triangle atmosphere?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 1:26:22 pm

The video "has not been made available" in my country.

From the thumbnail though, it looks like something you could do with Particular or Form.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nico TeetzRe: Moving triangle atmosphere?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 1:55:12 pm

That's why I attached a screenshot aswell! :P

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Moving triangle atmosphere?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 2:14:50 pm

I mean, it looks very Plexus-y. What do you mean by you don't know how to create an atmosphere? It just looks like Plexus and some glow effects.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2015 at 2:33:31 pm
Last Edited By Nico Teetz on Sep 26, 2015 at 2:58:28 pm

Well, whenever I use Plexus it just doesn't look like that. Creating that 3D space atmosphere with the dots moving around slowly, disconnecting from each other and reconnecting to other dots etc. – How does that work?

Edit:

I'll try to explain a little better:

How is this 3D "atmosphere" (I guess this isn't the best word to describe what I mean, but I can't do better) created. How did the guy create a 3D volume with Plexus points evenly distributed in it and then how did he animate the points within that volume to constantly move around and thereby achieving the effect of points constantly disconnecting from eachother and reconnecting to other points, creating new triangles?

I can set-up a simple Plexus volume with a box primitive and a noise effector but that doesn't create a 3D space that I could move through with a camera and it'd look good. And it doesn't make the points move and disconnect/reconnect either.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Moving triangle atmosphere?
by on Sep 26, 2015 at 11:23:53 pm

I can't view the video either, so I am only guessing at the animation, but I think what you want to do is animate the Noise Amplitude and X,Y, and Z Scales of the Noise Details in your Noise Effector to get your points moving. Add a Triangulation Renderer and experiment with the Maximum Distance to get the triangles to form and vanish between the moving points.

For different colored triangles add a second Noise Effector set to Effector effects - Vertices, Apply Noise to Vertices - Color, Color Type - RGB, and in the Triangulation Renderer verify that Get Colors From Vertices is checked. Also adjust the Opacity over Distance in that renderer to either fade the triangles in and out with a sloped graph, or have them snap on and off with a vertical falloff on the distance axis.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2015 at 12:43:18 am

Animating the Noise Amplitude didn't give me the result I was looking for. Didn't think about simultaneously animating the Maximum Distance though, quite obvious but I didn't think of it. Thanks! Oh yeah, and I hadn't figured out how to color them differently, thanks for that aswell!

I'll try this tomorrow. Almost 3am here.

Greetz,
- Nico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]