ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Comp window has gone bright blue?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Comfort
Comp window has gone bright blue?
on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:04:00 pm

Ok I posted something similar to this last week but literally 5 minutes after I posted it I somehow accidentally fixed it. Never found out what happened though and it's a bit different.

Pretty new to AE, so I don't know how I keep doing this. I was clicking around in the Libraries panel trying to pick a color for an effect, and suddenly my entire comp window goes blue. My ENTIRE animation is now just a bright blue rectangle. Ctrl+z doesn't help, so I assume it's because I've activated a mode or mask or something by accident? I'm using AE CC 2015 on a Mac.

Someone asked for a screen shot last time. Here it is:

Any help would be awesome!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Comp window has gone bright blue?
on Sep 24, 2015 at 4:21:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 24, 2015 at 5:23:54 pm

Are you trying to modify an AE template you bought without knowing a whole lot about AE?

If it's a template, there could be a great, big bunch of stuff in those folders that have a big influence on what you see in the comp window. For example, I don't even see the comp you show in your screen shot. Who knows what else is in there?

And who knows what else is in your comp? We can only see 16 layers... and I bet there are more.

Did you inadvertantly disable an expression? You don't know, and neither do we.

Right now, it could be any of a number of things, and we don't have the slightest notion of a starting place to make a diagnosis.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emily Comfort
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:01:28 pm

Hmmmm. I haven't bought any templates. The only things in my project are Illustrator objects I drew and then pulled into AE to animate. And like last time, I poked around in my project files for a while and it eventually just popped back to normal. Both times I was doing nothing more than moving a keyframe or just moving a layer around a little bit. I wish I could figure out what was happening so I could stop doing that, grrrrr. Thanks anyway!

EC

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:26:39 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:28:16 pm

To me it looks like you have double-clicked a comp named "Ally" which has opened it, and you are one frame before there is anything in the precomp, so you can see just the background color of that comp, which is blue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 25, 2015 at 5:09:52 pm

I'm glad it's not a template. They can be nightmares for a newcomer.

Y'know, I'm thinkin' you'd really benefit from a disciplined, concept-by-concept introduction to using AE. That way, you don't have big gaps in your knowledge that can come back to bite you.

Here's an EXCELLENT set of lessons that can help a lot. You'll note they're right here on the COW, and that they were compiled by Todd Kopriva of Adobe. He's Mr. After Effects Himself -- the man in charge of AE:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/02/after-effects-basics-tutorials-...

Don't worry if it's not the version of AE you run -- all the principles apply, with the possible exception of previewing if you run AE CC 2015; they changed the technique for that version.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Meierding
on Jan 1, 2016 at 12:01:05 am

This just happened to me. I've been using AE everyday for five years. It's a bug. Don't know you're specific situation... but that exact blue screen just happened to me. Could be video card. Could be cpu. Could be software. Who knows? You would need to spend more time then you have to figure it out.

In my situation, AE CC2014, Mac Pro Late 2013, changing a setting within VC Optical Flares Options Interface resulted in a blue screen like yours. I just restarted AE and was good to go.

Not sure if you did anything wrong within your comp... but if it happened to me with a four layer comp, then it can happen to anybody.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]