ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

alpha map shape affecting opacity of particular texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoffrey Amend
alpha map shape affecting opacity of particular texture
on Sep 23, 2015 at 10:39:18 pm

I am using a texture (an emoticon) in particular to fill an alpha map of the world.

There are areas, such as Scotland and part of Indonesia, where it seems like the alpha map does not cover the texture. These areas appear GRAY or with limited opacity, where as they are supposed to be GREEN.

I can fix the problem by adding in individual shape layers in these areas. But A) it's cumbersome and B) changes the shape of the world map.

How would I fix this so that I have a consistent 100% green throughout and maintain my alpha shape?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: alpha map shape affecting opacity of particular texture
on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:40:44 pm

Add levels adjustment (individual controls) to make the alpha channel fully 0% and 100% by setting white and black points to same value, such as 127.

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Amend
on Sep 25, 2015 at 1:40:34 pm

Hi there. Thanks. I actually located a previous response from you with this same solution. I couldn't get it to work and I could not understand if you meant the input values or output values for b and w....Unless I'm looking at the wrong effect.

However, what helped was to set the layer to Draft mode.

However, my current problem is that the Still frame is fixed, but when I put it in motion and render it out, some of the opacity issue on the edges persists....

Any advice on this?

Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:20:56 pm

The input values. Basic issue is that the alpha channel has partially transparent pixels at the edge. Levels can be used to force them to be either fully transparent or fully opaque. As I recall you need to do this inside a precomp so that Particular reads it correctly.

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Amend
on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:17:33 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Thanks for your help!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]