ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Roughen Edges of strokes in a shape layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Skylar MoranRoughen Edges of strokes in a shape layer
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 5:49:47 pm

I am looking to create a draw on a chalkboard effect using drawings made in Illustrator. I succeeded in importing the illustrator file, creating shapes from the vector layer, and animating the paths to draw on using trim paths, but now I want to make the drawing look like it was done on a chalkboard. When I try to apply roughen edges, it only applies it to the edges of the whole drawing, not the individual strokes within the drawing. How can I get around this to make each stroke look roughened up like chalk?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Filip RedaszkaRe: Roughen Edges of strokes in a shape layer
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:24:05 pm

Maybe Wiggle Paths will help if you play with settings. For example small Size, more Detail, Corner for Points, zero for Wiggles/Second and you can use it for individual shapes with different groups. Anyway I think there are more approaches to reach this effect, this one is my first notion. Have fun. : )

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Roughen Edges of strokes in a shape layer
by on Sep 22, 2015 at 6:40:11 pm

i think if crank up the 'border' poperty of the righten edges effect you should be able to effect more than just the edges.

i think you can get close to a choke look, by also setting the edge type to 'rusty', which will prevent you lines from getting thicker as you increase the border property.

then duplicate he roughen edges effect and click reset to rest the values. this will help roughen the harder edge of the original path left by the 'rusty' edge type. then tweet those setting as needed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved