ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particle effects like this

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam FarronParticle effects like this
by on Sep 20, 2015 at 11:14:59 pm
Last Edited By Adam Farron on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:52:14 am

Look at this video from the point I have it start at (When you click on link it should start at 4:58) and look at how the particles conform to a shape and disperse, and how they use particles to create words afterwards. What's the name of this plugin and how do you use it? :)

Also, in this video at :32 seconds, the plexus particles floating around, how do I recreate that? I know the plexus part isn't too complicated, just dunno how. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Particle effects like this
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:46:19 pm

Link to video?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Particle effects like this
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:46:49 pm

Sorry -- no link. Can't see a thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam FarronRe: Particle effects like this
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:50:16 pm

That's the second video I mentioned (32 seconds)

Here's the first one I mentioned

Thanks. And sorry for that. I thought I posted them.

Return to posts index

crasse deuxRe: Particle effects like this
by on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:24:28 pm

Hi !

about the second one (with the anime girl face shape transition to particles) you can do this quite easily with trapcode Form (and I'm quite sure this was done in the source using this plugin as well), using layer Map and disperse and Twist fonction, and/or some turbulence animation.

about the method, there is bunch of tutorial out there about this particular technique, here is one for example :

in this one it's some text to particles, in your source it would be the same technique but with an alpha of the girl drawing as Layer map (with the same settings).

About your first request, I didn't saw floating particles in the source at 32 sec, but simple floating particles are quite easily done with Trapcode Form as well, using a Cube as base shape with the number of particles of your choice (the cube would be a 3D grid and you choose how many particles you put per dimension according to your needs), and then Disperse them, and play with turbulence (if this is kind of dust particles you're looking for, give turbulences a very slow animation speed.)
you can also play with your camera settings, adding depth blur for example, and maybe moving a bit through your particles cloud.

Anyway there is also lots of tutorials out there about trapcode Form and floating particles.

Hope this help :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2015 at 5:55:54 am

I'm having a hard time applying this technique to a mask, I'm trying to make it to where the particles are a certain color and not just the color from the original scene, I'm getting the hang of it, but the color part is frustrating me.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2015 at 11:06:07 am

First if you using a layer with a mask on it as a Layer Map for FORM, it won't work unless you precomp it (if not, FORM won't be aware of the mask).

So You want the particles to be a particular color(s) of your choice and not the ones from the layers maps ?

in Trapcode Form, in the layer Maps menu -> Color and Alpha : in "functionality" choose "A to A" (alpha to alpha) this way form doesn't use colors from your original layer, just the alpha of it. (and the map over parameter is in most cases XY)

This way, you'll be able to choose whatever color(s) you want for your particles (using particles colors parameter, shading etc...)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2015 at 3:43:29 pm

That really helped!!!! Thank you, now, I'm still trying to figure out, my particles are still dots, and not feathery looking ones that that person had in the credits sequence of the second link I posted. Is that still form, how can I change the shape of my particles themselves if possible?

And also, since I only have 2 seconds of video mask, and the mask itself is a still image, can I take this 'video mask' and make a single frame mask that I can make as long as I need to be? If so, How. I just need to render out the picture so I can make the particles last as long as need be.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25:31 pm

glad that helped !

about your particles shape, yes you can change them to whatever you want as you can use compositions as particles.

in your case, if you want to have feathery glowy spheres, there is 2 possibilties :

- the simplest (less control over the result, but can do the job in some cases):
in your particle type dropdown menu, choose GLOW sphere
(no DOF, which mean you can't use depth of field blur from a camera with it)
Then you can play with the glow parameters a bit below, as they are available.
also you can randomize particles opacity and size, result could be better.

- slightly more works (but better result) :
.keep particles as spheres, add feather to particles (and randomize size and opacity if needed)
.then add a glow effects on the FORM layer (below it), or create a effect layer above the FORM layer and add it on
.in the GLOW effect, play with the Threshold (ie 50%) Radius (ie 16) and intensity (ie 8)
then change the B color to something closer to white (a blueish white, or yellowish white, or whatever color you wish your glow to be tinted)
Also, if you have plugin like Starglow, you can also play with it, it gives nice shininess streaks (change the colors of the starglow first cause it comes with weird colors at start)

About your mask comp length, you can make it longer :

First open your mask comp, then edit composition settings (Ctrl+K) and give it greater duration if needed.

Then if the masked image is a still image and you want it to be longer, select it and go the Layer menu -> Time -> freeze image (a square key should appear on the time Remap effect of your layer).
Then you can lengthen your masked image in the composition panel.

hope this help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]